mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Hope Replacing Rapid Fire with SRAM - Possible?

When it comes to bike workmanship, I'm a bit of a dunce, so please excuse this silly question:

I'm picking up a new bike soon with Shimano Deore Rapid Fire 10spd. While testing out the bikes I jumped on a Kona Kahuna which has the dual-thumb SRAM X5. I only did a lap or two around the block but I instantly fell in love with them. Being able to keep an extra finger on the handlebars feels a lot more comfortable.

Here's the silly part - If I replaced the shifters on my bike from Rapid Fire to SRAM X5, do you have to also replace the entire font and rear derailer? Is the whole thing one big system, or can you just rip off the rapid fire shifters and feed the cables into the X5?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    You can leave the front derailleur, but the shifters and rear derailleur need to match. BTW, new Shimano including the ones you mentioned can use thumb/thumb like SRAM and the old style thumb/pointer. X5 and Deore are at the same level...

Former Bike Wrench
    SRAM doesn't make Shimano 10 speed compatible shifters so you will have to use a SRAM rear derailleur as well.

Everything else (front derailleur, chain, cassette, crankset) should work fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh cool, I didn't know Shimano made dual thumb shifters. I'll try and track some down.

Cheers guys!

mtbr member
    TurboCrash, just an FYI, your new bike appears to already have them. THere is only 1 10 speed Deore, M591, it supports pushing or pulling on the front lever out of the box. It's called Rapid Fire plus. You should be all set, unless you desire SRAM...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    THE HELL!? RSabarese, you are completely correct. How in the world did I not notice this?

I think my brain just had a heart attack.

I need to go sit down...