Thread: Quarq XX1

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Quarq XX1

Was riding this weekend thinking of a creative way to get XX1 and power to play nice together with my existing Quarq Riken. I have yet to get my hands dirty and try this out, but I can't conceptually see anything wrong with this idea, can you?

1. Take a compact road bb30 riken and remove the rings and arms so you're left with the spider.
    2. Install the bb30 XX1 arms onto the riken spider to obtain the appropriate Q factor.
    3. Buy one of wolf tooth cyclings 36t cx rings that fits the 110 BCD of the riken.
    4. Space the riken out on the driveside to get the appropriate chain line.

I figure that currently my 32t front and second largest rear cog (36t) would feel only slightly harder (.88) than the new 36t front and 42t rear (.85). I think I may be able to live with that...

Other than having to use a big front ring, anyone see an issue with this? What am I missing?

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well, it is possible.

Quarq XX1-photo-2.jpg

Might want a Fetha chainring or a Wolftooth narrow wide to keep it on. But this would work with a chain catcher.

Happy New Year!

aka 'Grover'
    I use GXP XX1 arms with a GXP Riken Compact spider and Fetha Components 34tooth 110bcd narrow/wide ring. Chainline is 2mm wider but in function not an issue.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    I use GXP XX1 arms with a GXP Riken Compact spider and Fetha Components 34tooth 110bcd narrow/wide ring. Chainline is 2mm wider but in function not an issue.

aussie_yeti, did you space out the chainring at all? or does it sit naturally 2mm wider off of the spider? Is the fetha chainring mounting points thicker than a typical chainring to accomodate a single ring setup? Or did you buy shorter chainring bolts?

I guess it really all depends on the frame and your bb. I think mine will need to be spaced out further, we'll see. Just ordered the fetha ring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    amd, why wouldn't the Stages power meter work? I'm trying to do the same thing. Wondering if I can run the X9 stages BB30 arm with my XX1 crankset, or get a Quarq

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The new World Cup epics have too narrow of clearance between the crank arm and chain stay for a stages pm.

I have an x9 bb30 crankset I'm looking to sell if you're interested as I got the quarq solution hammered out perfectly now.Quarq XX1-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Interested, pm me with info. thanks, Don

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi And,
    Just joined as i was looking to convert the same as you as had spare Riken. CNC Fetha on the way. Is their any chance you can advise where and how you stuck the magnet on and which type? Pic preferred if possible. Thanks so much. Ruskiedog UK

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi Amd. Followed your set up, thanks for sharing. Ring came today and all set up. Can you help a little on the whereabouts you put the magnet, i also have a 2013 Marathon Expert? Did you glue it or use the ring somehow?
    Thanks
    Jay

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi guys, my magnet placement is very rudimentary. But, xc racin and 100 milers haven't knocked it loose, so, it works.

Clean the area around the bb really well. Then, take the magnet and put it as close to the bb spindle as possible on the carbon lip and tape it. Yes, tape. I used electrical tape and put probably 4 pieces over with dffernt tangential angles over the magnet. It hasn't moved at all.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hey,
    Thanks for that. I did it slightly different, slit underneath the protective covering, added some putty to also hold it and slid it all underneath so should keep it tight even after a knock. Hopefully you can see pic here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/03amq34tf8...0140501_18.png
    Cadence reads nice, all back together, just need to calibrate and do a few rides.