mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Pike warranty question and expectations

I purchased a new bike April 2015 which came with a Pike RC Solo. In August I started hearing a click coming from the front end. I wasn't sure if it was coming from the fork, headset, handlebar, etc so I started taking everything off the bike for cleaning. Nothing seamed to work so I brought it back to the LBS where I bought the bike and told him my problem. At first he said shouldn't be a problem and he flipped the bike upside down and dropped some oil under the crown. I rode the bike for two days with this fix and it did nothing except to make click a clunk. I brought the bike back to the LBS and told him I would like to send the fork out for warranty work. He thought it was the steerer tube and crown. He said the steerer tube is pressed into the crown and sometimes the press is not that good and begins to separate. The fork would probably not fail, but the click wouldn't go away.

Has anyone had any experience with the steerer tube and crown coming apart? The fork is only 5 months old.

If so how long should the warranty process take? (It's been 2 weeks now since I dropped off the fork to the LBS)

I'm not sure what to expect from SRAM, as I have never had to send anything out for warranty before.

Bike was never in a crash.

I've tried searching the forums for answers but can't find anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey BluePitch, I have not experience this exact issue, but I have had a negative experience dealing with SRAM's warranty. I returned a Pike fork to SRAM for warranty work due to (what I felt was premature) stanchion wear. I did hear from them SRAM within 2 weeks via the bike shop but the cost was at a premium price, no discount. I did not have any clicking noises in from the original uppers or the replacement. It is unclear if this $400+ repair was SRAM or the bike shop.

Back Story:
    I purchased a new Rip 9 w/ a Pike upgrade from Tryon Bikes. Dealing with this bike shop over the internet was a bit of a rough experience. 1.2 years after the purchase (no winter riding) I noticed the upper stanchions showing wear, the black was almost completely gone in several areas. I contacted Tryon, who is a LBS but not to me, and they for $10 submitted the warranty request. SRAM issued a RMA, I sent the fork to SRAM. SRAM contacted the LBS and said the wear came from pushing the maintenance too far. For the 'discounted' price of $400 + S&H, Tryon would work with SRAM and replace the uppers & service the fork. The uppers can be purchased new for $325! To me this felt like a complete 'screw you'. If your gonna charge top dollar for a product, at least give the person who paid top dollar a 'warranty price'.

Long and short, SRAM who works only through bike shops, would not budge, I wound up paying about $35 to the LBS by the time it was all said and done and got the fork back un-repaired. I installed a new set of uppers and performed the service as per the manual. 6 months of riding and the replacement uppers are showing signs of wear again!!!

To me, the Pike uppers feel as though they are a cheapened product vs the Reba I have on another bike. The uppers have a very light anodize on the top section which is easily warn by cable rub. The stanchions have some kind of wear issues, perhaps due to the increased cycles with the more active damper. Perhaps the click noise you hear can be added to the list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've got what sounds like the same issue. A click/creak from the front end that happens only with hits. I have re lubed the headset, torqued everything to spec, and I cannot reproduce the sound by yanking on the bars in any way.

Did you get a fix for this BluePitch?

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the safety or potential for failure?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikethis View Post
    I've got what sounds like the same issue. A click/creak from the front end that happens only with hits. I have re lubed the headset, torqued everything to spec, and I cannot reproduce the sound by yanking on the bars in any way.

Did you get a fix for this BluePitch?

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the safety or potential for failure?

The noise I had according to the local bike shop was from the steering tube and the way they press it into the upper portion (crown)of the fork. The click was coming from this junction which is just pressed together. as it was explained to me when tolerances are very small the slightest imperfection in that area can cause a very small seperation. That small seperation is the click. Will it have a catastrophic failure, probably not. Is it annoying as hell yes.

My LBS eventually got me a new upper for the fork after "forgetting" to send the fork out. I stood in the shop while he called SRAM and they agreed to send the replacement.

I believe this issue is a little more common then SRAM might admit to, but the key is going to be the LBS. nothing can be done without a LBS, SRAM doesn't deal with consumers.

The way I had to show my LBS how to replicate the sound was by walking the bike into a curb. He would take it out and ride all over the parking lot and say no noise. The other way I could replicate the noise was by making the bike do a riderless endo. Hold front brake , pick up rear of bike, and bounce the front tire on the ground keeping the rear wheel in the air.