Thread: Pike issue

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Pike issue

Just bought a brand new 26" Pike 160mm.
    Installed it, set sag and took it for a spin in the driveway.

Noticed the fork is topping out harshly.
    Everytime I lift the front wheel off the ground or unweight it there is 5-10mm of quick movement to top out. Like there it is lacking in oil in the damper.

I have tried all the rebound settings and low speed compression. It does get better when rebound is at slowest setting but still clonks.

Any suggestions (sram??) or anyone else had a similar experience, searched the net and cant find anything. Very very bummed after such glowing review.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    just incase anyone else has the same issue I found some others at the bottom of this thread.
    Pike 2014

seems to be shitty bushings

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Curious, where did you purchase yours from? And did you ever get it fixed?

I have had similar issues with 2 Pikes in a row. The first I rode 4 times and it worked wonderfully. Halfway through the 5th ride, it topped-out hard when catching a small amount of air. I pulled over and played with the travel adjustment, but it wasn't working. The fork was at full extension, even when I was sitting on it (no sag). I rode it home gingerly.

The next day when I went to drop it off at the shop, the front fully compressed, very easily, as if it had no air. When I lifted up the front, the left seal pulled out of the lower. I ended up calling Backcountry, where I bought it, and they sent me an exchange.

Today I installed it, and sat on it for the first time check the sag, but it was topped out just like the other, and would not setting into the travel at all. I put the pump on it and let all the air out, and still it was fully extended. I rocked back and forth a few and times and then 'POP!' the left seal blew out of the lower again.

Going to call now and get ANOTHER replacement.

*MD*