mtbr member

Not impressed with SRAM/Rockshox

Just a little rant here and needed to vent. I've always been a Fox guy with my trail bikes (never been on any Rockshox products before) and recently just purchased a new 14 Kona Operator with a 14 Boxxer RC fork. Took her out to the local bike park and had a blast despite my hands getting the crap beat out of me. My fox 34 felt better with less fatigue. No big deal figured I would upgrade to the new 15 Charger Dampener and be done with it. Get the upgrade take her home and realize the rebound has unlimited rebound and doesn't work! Okay, take it in to the local bike shop and they said they would get a hold of Rockshox. After a week the mechanic says they still can't get a hold of Rockshox and have left messages. What the heck? So I take the bike to Jenson USA figuring they will probably have a better relationship with sram. Jenson tells me that the dampener was installed wrong by the bike shop because there wasn't any oil in the dampener and the rebound wasn't hooked up. But they can't fix it because they don't have anyone that can install the dampener? So they can diagnose a fork problem but can't install a dampener? Never mind the fact that the dampener is drop in and play with oil already prefilled. So Jensons said Rockshox would probably charge me to fix the problem! What the heck? So I called the shop where I got the bike and dampener from because he was the one that installed the dampener. I didn't take the bike their originally because it's an hour drive. Needless to say he said Jensons didn't know what their talking about and would send the fork back to Rockshox. After three weeks the fork finally came back but Rockshox installed the old mission control dampener not the new charger! Does this company not talk to dealers or realize the difference between the new and old dampener? This is not a great introduction to Rockshox! I would love to email Rockshox and let them know they have problems with communication but of course they don't even have an email to do that with! Needless to say I'm just discouraged that my new bike has been in the shop longer then I've had it. Sorry for the rant just needed to get it out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Ranting has such a therapeutic effect right? I too am relatively new to rock shox although I am more weekend warrior. I have been running sektors and have been very pleased. Called them to ask a few questions and spoke to someone straight-away. Hopefully your experience is a one time thing an just wanted to give you hope that my experience with them has been top notch and I hope yours is as well in the future.
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Thanks Molasses I appreciate it! Yeah, I know it's not all Rockshoxs fault as these things happen. I also blame some lazy shops not doing what their supposed to be doing. Anyways, quick update the shop owner just called me and said he dropped in 4 different charger dampeners and neither one of them worked. He said the rebound works internally but not the red knob. He talked to sram and they said it might be a defect. So he will have to send the fork back to sram to check out. They said they might just throw in a 2015 black team fork since it will probably be a warranty issue. Which would make me a happy camper because I love the black fork. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed as it will probably be another couple of weeks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent

So, none of this has to do with SRAM. Just shops that don't know much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member

Re: Not impressed with SRAM/Rockshox

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    So, none of this has to do with SRAM. Just shops that don't know much.

So sram taking 3 weeks to send the wrong parts isn't an issue with sram? Counting those 3 weeks my fork has now been gone for a month and a half! That's terrible turn a round time any way you look at it. Yes a lot of shops that don't know much but also sram for taking there sweet time. I've missed a lot of riding and the close of the local dh park. Big time bummer. Just talked to the shop owner today and said he's fighting to get me a new updated fork because they want to fix the manufactured defect and send it back. I guess this has been a known issue with the new charger. Anwyays, sound like another week or two at this rate.

Formerly of Kent

Uh, based on how terrible your shop(s) sound, are you sure they sent it and received it when they claim they did? Because I've been sent parts the next day by SRAM on multiple occasions, and had repairs/warrantees back within a week many times as well. Sounds like a shop problem.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Uh, based on how terrible your shop(s) sound, are you sure they sent it and received it when they claim they did? Because I've been sent parts the next day by SRAM on multiple occasions, and had repairs/warrantees back within a week many times as well. Sounds like a shop problem.

It all depends on where your shipping the item from also. I'm pretty sure the fork got sent when it was supposed to. Strike 1- It was srams fault that they sent the wrong parts in the first place. Strike 2-Each time (twice)it got sent it took about 3 weeks to get an answer back from sram. Strike 3-Afer a month and half of waiting sram said we will fix the fork for you but not give you a new 15 one. Okay, fine you don't owe me a new fork but guess what they don't even have any charger dampeners in stock and no eta for when they will. Fantastic so no bike for a month and a half now and no time table for a return. So glad Sram is all about customer service. Will never buy a bike with rockshox products again. I should boycott sram in general but do love there x01 set up. I knew there was a reason I always stayed with Fox Suspension.

Uphill? What's that
    I am building a new bike this winter and making it a point to not use any parts manufactured by sram/avid/rockshox.It seams they just can't get it right. Their brakes fail far to often, their shocks leak and wear out prematurely. The only plus side used to be their customer service..When something would fail they would always give me an upgrade..But the upgrades often failed as well..I learned it's just best to avoid them. There are a lot of options available that are the same price or cheaper and way more reliable.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    I am building a new bike this winter and making it a point to not use any parts manufactured by sram/avid/rockshox.It seams they just can't get it right. Their brakes fail far to often, their shocks leak and wear out prematurely. The only plus side used to be their customer service..When something would fail they would always give me an upgrade..But the upgrades often failed as well..I learned it's just best to avoid them. There are a lot of options available that are the same price or cheaper and way more reliable.
    Yeah, that's the thing too is I've always heard they had great customer service! Their products are finally starting to get better so it's too bad there customer service is going downhill. Like I said luckily I have a shop owner who is really going above and beyond in taking care of me.

Uphill? What's that
    A good shop should definitely help. Let's hope you're back on the mountain before too long.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    A good shop should definitely help. Let's hope you're back on the mountain before too long.
    Thanks me too! It sucks having a new bike that I haven't been able to use!