Jun 2008

More SRAM 10s GripShift Info!

Here ya go, From your friends at Tree Fort Bikes:

First Look – Sram X0 10spd Grip Shift « Tree Fort Bikes Blog
    adam • michigan • karate monkey

CAMBr Trail Crew
    I'll take 2 sets!

MattSavage
    I'll take 4! Good by 8 speed, hello 10!!!!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Trim feature gone, no mention of weight, twice the price of 9-speed X0, color me unimpressed.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Whoa, I just saw the update! $225 for the XO's? Ouch, that's kind of steep..!

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by DDDonny View Post
    Whoa, I just saw the update! $225 for the XO's? Ouch, that's kind of steep..!
    No kidding! For that pricepoint, they should come with ceramic bearings AND Gore cables. $450 to convert a triggered bike and a new build. Just for shifters! Staying 9spd just became more palatable decision. One of the pros for going gripshift was the cheaper price. 10spd killed that...
    Amolan

mtbr member
    May 2006
    $300 is too much....

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The price is not right.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The price is too high, but if they don't bring out the X9 cheaper, I will likely use the X0 on my next bike. I have said a few times, but I have issues with my thumbs, so thumb shifters suck after about 40 minutes for me and $225 for the X0 is still less than it would cost me to downgrade a 10spd new bike to 9 spd to run my current X0s. Hoping for a lower price than MSRP at LBSs and online!
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    1999 Trek STP200 (the commuter)

mtbr member
    The price does seem high but the trigger shifter msrp is 275

Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Trim feature gone, no mention of weight, twice the price of 9-speed X0, color me unimpressed.
    You don't need the trim feature with a 2x front der.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

The Missing
    May 2007
    Pay to play, if the XX grip shifter is lighter then the trigger options, faster shifting and has an actual carbon body then it's not that bad IMO, the wait has been so long I think a lot of those people waiting will have no problem paying whatever sram is asking. I am very excited myself about these shifters. Thank you Tree Fort for providing the details. Throw those on a scale for us now

Plays with tools
    Seams like they left out all the stuff that made people fall in love with twisties. Cheap, simple, light (maybe), and trimable front.

MattSavage
    I'm sure the price will come down over a couple seasons and they release an X7 model. I just hope they make an Attack model again for 10 speed Shimano at some point...

The Missing
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    I'm sure the price will come down over a couple seasons and they release an X7 model. I just hope they make an Attack model again for 10 speed Shimano at some point...
    I am sure there will be a pricing war online for these assuming the inventory is there from Sram. If the list is 300 perhaps 250 could be found online with a coupon code from the major players online or ebay etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Seams like they left out all the stuff that made people fall in love with twisties. Cheap, simple, light (maybe), and trimable front.
    Agreed. [sigh] I especially dislike the removal of the trim feature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post

Are they, Sram, trying to make these things suck? The only argument I can come up with for loosing the FD trim feature is they don't want people buying them.

It took them 2 years to redesign one tiny part, with such a minor change, I probably would have had an intern do it rather than waste an engineer's time, and instead they ruin the functionality of the front shifter, which didn't need any changes in the first place.

You really have to wonder what people think sometimes. Sram, hello? Making your products worse for the sake of changing them doesn't make me want to ride Shimano less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds perfect for those of us who will want 1x10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Only if your idea of perfect is spending twice as much as the 1x9 version

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Joules - totally agree. What were they thinking?!? :-(

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Joules - totally agree. What were they thinking?!? :-(
    absolutely need trim for rough downhills. I run a bashguard and synching the derr up tight creates a on the fly chain guide.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Just saw the youtube video for the new SRAM Red "YAW" FD, so that kind of explains the "no trim" deal with the front shifter. Maybe SRAM has some other mtb goodies up their sleeve that we just don't know about yet? Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see...

MattSavage
    Just saw the youtube video for the new SRAM Red "YAW" FD, so that kind of explains the "no trim" deal with the front shifter. Maybe SRAM has some other mtb goodies up their sleeve that we just don't know about yet? Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see...

Yeah, it's similar to the new Red FD. Hopefully it wont need constant tinkering to maintain proper adjustment.

Also, for those crying about no micro adjustment in the shifter, I'm sure you could still run a standard 9 speed FD and front grip shift and buy the 10speed rear stuff separately. If you need the micro adjust that bad, then your stuff probably isn't setup properly in the first place so the imperfectness of the mix and match shouldn't matter to you. BTW, an FD isn't a chainguide, if you need one that bad put a proper one on...

Maybe that's why Sram redesigned the FD the way they did, to force people to take some accountability with their setups and maintenance and use their equipment properly. Not just slap it on there, take up the slack in the cable and call it good. Just a thought...

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Like the grips. Like the flare of the lock collar on the ends of the grips.

Running 1x10 for the last year has me reconsidering GS. Would be nice to just twist 5 or 6 gears rather than click after click.

Any word on whether these will be available as rear only ?

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post

Probably not, since they're usually sold as a set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm arrogant and intolerant of others' opinions and if you don't agree with me you're a worthless incompetent. (paraphrased)
    Great way to make friends and influence people...

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, it's similar to the new Red FD. Hopefully it wont need constant tinkering to maintain proper adjustment.

Also, for those crying about no micro adjustment in the shifter, I'm sure you could still run a standard 9 speed FD and front grip shift and buy the 10speed rear stuff separately. If you need the micro adjust that bad, then your stuff probably isn't setup properly in the first place so the imperfectness of the mix and match shouldn't matter to you. BTW, an FD isn't a chainguide, if you need one that bad put a proper one on...

Maybe that's why Sram redesigned the FD the way they did, to force people to take some accountability with their setups and maintenance and use their equipment properly. Not just slap it on there, take up the slack in the cable and call it good. Just a thought...
    Well, you got some people mad but I agree with you. Have only needed trim on a mtb when I was inadvertantly cross chaining, which is easily fixed by paying more attention to what I'm doing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    The 9s versions have always been available as individuals, as are all the triggers. So I would assume the new GS will be avail as a rear only.

Adam at Tree Fort

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pernfilman View Post
    Pay to play, if the XX grip shifter is lighter then the trigger options, faster shifting and has an actual carbon body then it's not that bad IMO, the wait has been so long I think a lot of those people waiting will have no problem paying whatever sram is asking. I am very excited myself about these shifters. Thank you Tree Fort for providing the details. Throw those on a scale for us now
    It is very questionable that the XX grip will be lighter than XTR. With 9 speed the difference was around 20 grams, and the new grip shifts will be heavier. I use 1x9 11x36 and I spent $35.75 to get a PAIR of Attack grip shift. The weight is 82 grams, worse than my old Sachs 8 speed (56 grams), but with Shimano cable/housing/derailleur the shifting is much better, almost too smooth ... hard to see how it can be improved, and why on hearth spend $300 not to do so.

mtbr member
    So the manufacturing is playing parent? Forcing it's customers to take responsibility for set-up? If that's a case, that is a god awful business model.

Given it took somebody less than a year to convert 9speed grip to 10 speed, yet took SRAM two years, I'd say maybe SRAM was trying to do away with grips. Definitely not a priority. If SRAM says it was a priority, then they have some really really bad engineers.

Wish they wouldn't add carbon to the grips. It serves no function other than cosmetic. Maybe save 5 grams. The real purpose is so SRAM can jack up the price.

My new bike came with 10speed, thus I didn't have a choice but to get 10 speed. The gearing I had set up on my 2x9 is almost identical to 2x10, yet everything for 2x10 is so damn expensive. I'm considering going back to 9-speed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i have to say that i heard a lot of people, including myself, screaming for XX gripshift. SRAM delivers, sortof, and now you guys are screaming again?

get over it.

buy it, or don't. SRAM knows the market for these is likely smaller than for triggers thus the pricing. some will suck it up and buy them, the rest will piss and moan like little school girls.

i count this as a huge year actually. if they do hydro road brifters for CX AND XX gripshift for the MTB that is two big wins.

i commend you guys on sticking to your 9 spd stuff though. i am sure the prices have come way down. who wants to pay a bunch of money for stuff that just sits in the garage, am i right? now if you ride and race the bike you probably want to get the new stuff. can't argue that the new stuff is performing. i don't think the two guys in front of me at nationals were running 9spd. just sayin.

by the way.... i did buy the modded 10spd gripshift from europe. they work, but the friction combined with the closer spacing makes them vague. i am sure that is what took SRAM a while to figure out. i am hoping it was that, and how to get them light enough to make it a viable option.

anybody have real weights yet??????
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I like gripshift, a LOT. Why judge when the product isn't even out yet? Maybe, just maybe the construction/weight warrants the price. After the come out we can ***** and moan if they stink.

mtbr member
    I have the current XO twisters in euro customized 10 spd version and my experince is that they work as well as the 9 spd version. No vagueness or ghost shifts, no problems at all last season. Don't think I'll upgrade if I don't suddenly run into problems. Running 10 spd on "old" 9 spd XO works a treat!
    Last edited by simenf; 02-29-2012 at 03:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ See, that's all SRAM ever needed to do. The Euros had it right; the LH shifter didn't need to change at all. While I don't suppose 3x10 is fashionable at the moment, both SRAM and Shimano still offer it, so it wouldn't hurt if the new LH shifter was compatible (i.e, non-indexed, has trim function), but no... [sigh]

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Maybe SRAM has some other mtb goodies up their sleeve that we just don't know about yet? Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see...
    Okay, so first the Type 2 rd's, what's next???

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    June... here we are.

Are they available in real world yet?

Can't find it in stock anywhere.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by eduluke View Post
    June... here we are.

Are they available in real world yet?

Can't find it in stock anywhere.
    QBP has them in stock! Run down to you LBS and have them order a set. They're limiting individual orders to 2 sets though...

That's for the front/rear set, not individuals. Not available for individual shifters yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hmmm, haven't been in here for a while. I've had X.0 gripshift for 6 weeks, got X.X gripshift 2 weeks ago. I'm in Australia and just bought from my LBS.

X.X comes with Gore cables that include a GRUB seal that works with SRAM rear derailleurs which is cool. Otherwise function is the same. I instantly felt at home. Took me back three years to X.0 9 speed gripshift. Love it!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have 3 rides on the x.0's. I love them. Positive shift feel as the 9spds. But smoother action.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

MattSavage
    ...And now they drop the 11speed on us...

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    with no delay of offering GripShift, thankfully.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    1999 Trek STP200 (the commuter)

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Yeah, I held off from purchasing the 2X10 grippys for as long as I could! That is, until last week when Cambria had a July 4th 10% off special all week long, and on wednesday, I finally gave in and ordered a set of the XO grippys and a Type 2 rear derailleur! Then guess what? On thursday the majority of the mtb websites are all abuzz over the XX1 1X11 components!

All I have to say is - Damn you, SRAM! Damn you for producing the drug that I need to satisfy my fix!!!

mtbr member
    What's up with these..."black edition"? I can't find anything on them.

LINK HERE

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Finally arrived yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More SRAM 10s GripShift Info!-xo.jpg  

mtbr member
    I was thinking about grabbing these for a 1x10. Curious does the rear shifter come with a grip for the other hand?

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    I was thinking about grabbing these for a 1x10. Curious does the rear shifter come with a grip for the other hand?

They come as a set, 2-shifters and 2-grips. But, the grips are designed to lock into the shifter for secure mounting. You can use the grip alone, but will have only one end clamped onto the handlebar.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post
    My new bike came with 10speed, thus I didn't have a choice but to get 10 speed. The gearing I had set up on my 2x9 is almost identical to 2x10, yet everything for 2x10 is so damn expensive. I'm considering going back to 9-speed.
    I had the same problem with my Campy road bikes. Campy solved it by making 8 & 9 sp obsolete. That forced me into 10 which is now becoming an endangered species.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have received my XX twisters, I use them with ESI racer edge grips, do I need to use the 2 small plastic rings sram provided in the package? what are they for?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    I have received my XX twisters, I use them with ESI racer edge grips, do I need to use the 2 small plastic rings sram provided in the package? what are they for?
    Yes, the plastic washers go between the shifter and the grip to reduce friction between them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme View Post
    i have to say that i heard a lot of people, including myself, screaming for XX gripshift. SRAM delivers, sortof, and now you guys are screaming again?

get over it.

anybody have real weights yet??????
    Bikerumor states.....

On our scale, the rear shifter plus grip came in at 130g. Rear shifter alone at 93g and grip at 38g, but these are weighed without any cable or housing. SRAM’s claimed weights for both XX and X0 is 207g and includes the shifters, cables and clamps, and the grips are 80g/pair. Compared to published weights of 183g for XX triggers and 232 for X0, the new twisters land between the two triggers on the scale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast