mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Mixing Gripshift with Triggers on the bar?

I am building a new bike with XX/XO drivetrain.

I like the Gripshift action on the rear 10 spd and it's engagement. But the front has always been an issue when I ran Gripshift years back. I didn't like the same twisting motion(maybe it is my years as a moto rider?).
    Anyway if running a 2x10 system the front shifter is really an on/off switch rather than selecting several gears. So on that side I was going to buy an XO 2x10 trigger and run that on the left side. Gripshift on the right side.

Anyone done this or am I waaaayyyyy out of the box on this?

\m/ \m/
    I can be done.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I like that idea .... Not even seen the grip shift in the flesh/metal yet ....I would use to clear up the bar for a remote lockout (got my eye on the ctd fox system) Wouldn't the grips be different each side?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    I like that idea .... Not even seen the grip shift in the flesh/metal yet ....I would use to clear up the bar for a remote lockout (got my eye on the ctd fox system) Wouldn't the grips be different each side?
    Grips length would be different. But not a big deal.
    I run Ergon so they have the std version and a GS version which is a just a cut down std grip on the right side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've run a twist shifter on a 1x9 setup. I like the ESI Chunky grips and just cut down the one on the right side. I've also run the ODI Rogue lock-ons, which are available in regular and grip-shift lengths. You have to buy two pairs of grips to get the 2 different lengths, though.

I also like a twist shifter for rear shifting and the triggers for 2x front shifting. The new 2x front shifters/derailleurs/chainrings shift nearly instantly. The one advantage of the older twisters for the front is that you could trim the f.d. if you needed to (the new 10-speed twisters are indexed and don't have this feature). However, I never need to trim the f.d. on my 2x10 setups, so that's not really an issue.

And, as someone said, putting the triggers on one side would allow you to install a remote lever there for a dropper post or lockout.

Ski during the off-season
    OP - Did you end up mixing the grip & trigger shifters? I have the X0 2x10 and do not like how sensitive the frt shifter is -- I find that it is too sensitive shifts too easily from the big to small ring, especially when there is a sudden jolt, such as going over roots.