mtbr member
    May 2004

I don't trust SRAM Guide R Brakes

Brand new bike - total rear brake lever lockup going downhill on first ride.
    Yes, shop said knew what it was right away and fixed it, BUT - I've been riding Mtn Bikes since 1998, I have NEVER experienced this with any brakes ever. I don't trust this.

YES, the issues I've read may be "statistically insignificant" and the brakes may be perfectly fine, but I need confidence/WE need confidence in our equipment - every piece of it.

SO, brand new bike, I've asked shop to see if SRAM will warranty these brakes, but I also put my order in for a new set of Shimano XT brakes, that *maybe don't have the perfect modulation, etc that the Guides are supposed to have, but the Shimanos DO have a good reputation for reliability.

Overall the whole thing is just damn wrong that I have to shell out - probably when it's all said and done, and extra $400 after I just bought a brand new bike - BUT - solid piece of mind so I can enjoy my riding and push my riding to the limit and keep progressing - is important to me - and the money is potentially way less than the cost of injury due to brake failure.

Total rear brake lever lockup?????
    And I read on the "Brake" forum here on Mtbr that this happened to someone else with the Guide R brakes but in his case the Front brake locked up - the brake reach adjuster somehow locked the front brake and threw him over the bars - he said he was very lucky that Sagebrush broke his fall. What if that had happened at high speeds, like floating over rock garden at high speed, or "skiing" down super steep rocky chute, or something like that?

Sorry but SRAM - I will do my best to never use your brakes again.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Shouldn't be using front brake at high speed in gnar... get what you deserve, if you do o_0

Bummer about brakes

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What?
    Your comment has NOTHING to do with my experience.
    I know how to ride, believe me!

MY situation - I said I want to feather a bit of REAR brake in a corner.
    I ALLUDED to a post in the BRAKE forum here where a rider stated that his front brake locked up on him and threw him OTB. He DID NOT say if he was moving in a staight line, or in a corner or what, when it happened.

But thanks for the "braking lesson"?????

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Currious, can you share with us what your bike shop fixed to resolve the issue?

I too have guide r's. I feel that they are perfect in terms of stopping and power. The lever adjustability is just okay. I guess thats why they sell the RS and RSC versions. I wish I could get the upgraded levers at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lightenup:
    I didn't ask him for details, so unfortunately all I can tell you is that he said some kind of fitting in there got/gets "misaligned" (Banjo fitting) - and that they (levers/brakes) - "either work or they don't".

It sounds like you're having a good experience with yours, and that's cool.
    Mine may in reality be perfectly fine and safe after what he did, but I decided not to test it, and will "pony up" the extra money and am having another shop - that I actually feel more comfortable dealing with, see if they will warranty the Guides. Whether the Guides are warrantied or not, a set of XT brakes are on order.

As far as lever adjust ability you're talking about - for the short time I had experience with them, the lever adjustment knobs on the "R's" seem clunky, and were a bit difficult to use, compared with my eperience with the Shimano SLX's on a hardtail I had.

Oh well "first world problems" I guess!
    Unless someone gets hurt from an unsafe product that's not cool at all.

Happy and Safe riding to you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Shimano makes awesome stuff. XT is great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightenup View Post
    Currious, can you share with us what your bike shop fixed to resolve the issue?

I too have guide r's. I feel that they are perfect in terms of stopping and power. The lever adjustability is just okay. I guess thats why they sell the RS and RSC versions. I wish I could get the upgraded levers at a reasonable price.

Your LBS should be able to warranty SRAM brakes. Most bikes have a 1 year warranty on the components. If the LBS is a SRAM dealer ( can order you SRAM brakes) they can warranty them.

Mine did

Sold the brakes after they were replaced. and went to XT's
    Too Many .

Master Gardener
    I've had three sets of XTs now that have all developed the same problem after a year of riding, which is that periodically when I reach for my lever there's nothing and I have to pump the brakes back up. My point being that I can relate to your distrust but my own experience is that I find it hard to trust XT brakes now.

Master Gardener

I don't trust SRAM Guide R Brakes

Double post

mtbr member
    Ill give you a couple hundred for them, since they are unsafe and all. You wouldn't want to sell a dangerous product like that. (for full price)
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1 View Post
    I've had three sets of XTs now that have all developed the same problem after a year of riding, which is that periodically when I reach for my lever there's nothing and I have to pump the brakes back up. My point being that I can relate to your distrust but my own experience is that I find it hard to trust XT brakes now.

Amazingly, I've had one set for over three years and that has never happened. You need to bleed them correctly.

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Amazingly, I've had one set for over three years and that has never happened. You need to bleed them correctly.
    I've been bleeding brakes for 22 years- pretty sure I've got it down. Shimano brakes are great, but my point is that they aren't flawless. Few things are.