Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    I've got a couple 'Schmidts out on customer bikes and they really seem to like them.

What I really want to see is one that's slimmed down. There's a lot of steel in there and I'm sure that they could remove some weight for an XC version. From what I could tell, it adds almost 900 grams over a traditional set-up.

The cool thing is that they open up the design possibilities. The massive backplate can make fitting a challenge (see Enel's bike) but dumping the front derailleur is the right way to go. I hope a new version is on the way.
    dont think the 900 grams is accurate. my math suggests something in line with SRAM, noting 1.4 lb weight gain (~+635 grams for AM version) as compared to say an XT crank with XT front der. so for other than a weight weenie who i doubt will ever want one, slimmed down or not, negligible and IMHO the benefits, which are very hard to appreciate in typed format and have to be experienced to appreciate, far outweigh the weight issue. In summary, its entirely rad

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    What I really want to see is one that's slimmed down. There's a lot of steel in there and I'm sure that they could remove some weight for an XC version. From what I could tell, it adds almost 900 grams over a traditional set-up.

The cool thing is that they open up the design possibilities. The massive backplate can make fitting a challenge (see Enel's bike) but dumping the front derailleur is the right way to go. I hope a new version is on the way.
    I would like to see a 20 tooth version. The current version will not support a 20 tooth ring, even if I got one custom cut due to the diameter.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I would like to see a 20 tooth version. The current version will not support a 20 tooth ring, even if I got one custom cut due to the diameter.
    20 tooth? you must be one of those tool 29er riders to feel the need for such a girly little ring

mtbr member
    Here is mine on a stock 2010 Mongoose Khyber Super......I luv it!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do other people find there efficiency in o/d still needs work?

retired
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ando_assi
    Do other people find there efficiency in o/d still needs work?
    no...its great as is IMHO

STS
    mtbr member
    I've openned a new post in drivetrain forum for people interested in lightening their hammerschmidt cranckset:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...45#post6686745

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Is there a way to fit/use a Hammerschmidt if my frame has no ISCG tabs? Thanks!

mtbr member

Yea.....finda a frame manu-

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumgearsolid
    Is there a way to fit/use a Hammerschmidt if my frame has no ISCG tabs? Thanks!
    facturer that can weld one on for you. Far as I know your frame has to have one to mount the plate to it... Sorry for the bad news
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    SRAM states that an ISCG tab is the only way to mount Hammerschmidt. Most custom builders could add the tab to a steel frame, but Hammerschmidt is bulky and can interfere with the chainstays on many 29ers. I have heard that some builders will grind away a portion of it's back plate but I'm not sure how much material you can remove before it all goes wrong.

Schlumpf has had planetary cranks for years and it looks like they have a couple of different mounting schemes for retrofit:

http://www.schlumpf.ch/antriebe_engl.htm
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So is there any news that SRAM still cares about this product? I always liked the idea but was hoping they could shave some more weight on the system and make it a tad better through iteration.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    So is there any news that SRAM still cares about this product?
    It seems like they are abandoning the idea. The signs are:

1. Sram 1x11 is going to be released.
    2. No updates to HS design at all. Even the obvious little flaws haven't been addressed in 4 years.
    3. Shimano never entered the game.

That's way too bad. I'm really enjoying my Transition Bank 2x1. My other bikes are gathering dust since I built it over a year ago.

If the Hammerschmidt is discontinued, with parts becoming unavailable, and no other such design appears, I'll have to build 2 or 3 singlespeed bikes instead of this one.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member

Just got it installed. Looking forward to my first ride with the new set up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2