mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Giga X Pipe installation question

I've got an 853 Jamis Dragon frame that I'm pulling the shimano crank out of and putting in a Truvative Giga Pipe BB and ISIS crankset. The frame shell is a 68mm and the spindle is 113. The Giga BB calls for a spacer on the drive side for 68mm shells, but in order to get it so seat properly in the shell, I need to use a spacer on both sides, which is consistent with SRAM's instructions on the web. Problem is, when I snug the cups to the BB shell, the spindle tightens up and has a huge amount of drag.

What gives? Any install tips/tricks/advice? Is there a better/different placement for the spacers? 2 on the drive side does not work at all.

thanks

mtbr member
    Is the plastic sleeve seated properly in the shell? Try installing without that plastic sleeve and see if it's the issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The Giga Pipe doesn't use a plastic sleeve - that's the GXP. The Giga is very similar to a Shimano UN series cartridge/sealed bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ended up buying a new Gga pipe with the correct drive side spacer and non drive side o'ring. It spins like butter now and all is good.