mtbr member
    Jun 2010

F@#$ SRAM and Their Brakes

I am on my 3rd pair of XX brakes, each having been replaced by SRAM, and still they make banshee screaming turkey gobbling fading noises. I will never buy another bike with SRAM and will go out of my way to talk others out of buying SRAM as well.

Rogue Exterminator
    Cool story
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

ride more
    Mar 2007

Re: F@#$ SRAM and Their Brakes

Had to be done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: F@#$ SRAM and Their Brakes

Those noises can be heard by any disc brake manufacturer..

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    Well, in that case F@#$ Brakes, I am just not going to use them period.

mtbr member
    I seriously have no idea why anyone even bothers with SRAM brakes anymore. You have an internet connection right? Do a search. SRAM brakes suck. Buy Shimano, any Shimano and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m View Post

Had to be done.
    Does that blue wonder with sprinkles come with some large heaping scoops of vanilla? I could really go for some big scoops...
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I seriously have no idea why anyone even bothers with SRAM brakes anymore. You have an internet connection right? Do a search. SRAM brakes suck. Buy Shimano, any Shimano and be done with it.
    People don't always buy SRAM brakes, they bikes with SRAM brakes on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    People don't always buy SRAM brakes, they bikes with SRAM brakes on them.
    Oh, they bikes with SRAM brakes do they? Hahaha.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Oh, they bikes with SRAM brakes do they? Hahaha.
    You caught my typo you clever little witty guy. Nobody can get anything past you.

mtbr member
    My XT trail 2013's have never made any noise. With a proper bed in and RT86's these are quiet and have great stopping ability.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Thee sets of SRAM brakes on three different bikes, no issues with any of them. Only time they ever make noise is when they get wet. Guess if you know how to maintain them they will work as good as any.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m View Post

Had to be done.
    My vote for Reply of the Year - well played, sir.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have five sets of them: Elixir CR, Elixir 5 in white and black, Juicy 7 and BB7. All of them work flawlessly. I cut and bled two sets of them as well.

A fellow riding crony goes on and on about how great his $himano XTR brakes are. At times they've sounded like a screaming hyena and he appears to be oblivious to that particular frequency

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I bought two 11' bikes and both pairs of SRAM brakes went bad on me within 3 months. The LBS said that SRAM might warranty them, but others continue having issues even then and since it had caused me so many headaches to that point I went with SLX instead. I prefer the lever on SRAM's, but SLX is better in every other way.

I was pretty annoyed about it for a while since I ended paying over $500 after I thought I was done spending on bikes, so I even considered getting rid of SRAM off my bikes. Ultimately I realized that I prefer the shifting system to Shimano, critical faults are essentially isolated to the brakes, and I cooled off over time.

My .02 cents is to just buy Shimano brakes and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    In addition to my original post and to bump this up again, I have worked on them endlessly. Also, I have brought them into my LBS 3-4 times.

The last time I brought them in the main mechanic was having a bad day and I caught him unfiltered when he said, and I quote, "F!@# SRAM brakes, I work on every single pair I sell. If you want quiet brakes that don't kill you when you squeeze and there is no resistance while flying down a steep hill, BUY SHIMANO BRAKES".

And that is what I unfortunately had to do. BroBra!
    Last edited by surfstar1; 06-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Every ride I've been on with my local club there is always someone complaining about their Sram brakes. Every single ride. I also know around 10 sponsored racers that loved their XX group the last two years but hated their brakes. These are Expert class racers that are shop mechanics or even owners of local stores. They all prefer Shimano brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, I don't mind the shifting from my XX Group, although I would give a slight nod to XTR shifting. I like the XX cranks better, just because they feel as stiff as XTR but look a thousand times better. I also like the weight savings over XTR. But brakes can make or break a ride and I am done with the SRAM and will never buy again. I just bought new XTR brakes for my older Spec sworks and they are awesome.

All I really want is for SRAM to get on their knees crying to beg my forgiveness and offer me 2x the cost back for the brakes for all my hardship. Is that too much to ask, really.

mtbr member
    I sold my XX brakes and never looked back. I'm loving my Magura MT8's. What irks me the most is that when you call SRAM for help, they act like they've never heard the phrase "turkey gobble".

Same thing with the clicking noise on their new type 2 rear derailleurs. Obvious design flaws, but they'll play dumb on each and every phone encounter. Vote with your wallet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes, it's a well known fact that SRAM/Avid brakes suck. Go with shimano (safest route) or something else. My LBS now stocks XT and SLX brakes due to everyone having problems with the elixirs that come stock on bikes.

Also, if you've ever gravity bled a pair of shimanos using the new funnel method you'll be sold. So easy it's almost ridiculous someone else hadn't thought of it. Most of the time you only have to bleed from the lever and it takes minutes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Probably not. There's a difference between squeal and the resonant vibrations that cause the turkey-warble issues. It's so bad sometimes that you can't hold on to your bike if you keep braking, as the vibration just keeps increasing and the whole bike is shuddering. My new avid brakes are doing it right now...and unfortunately this is something I've experienced before with avid brakes. When braking, my fork oscillates backwards and forwards while making the noise, which is troubling to me because it's a steel rigid fork.

The cause of this is the caliper weight relative to the frame and the fact that it allows the vibrations to propagate. Unfortunately you end up shooting in the dark because one of many remedies may fix it, or may do nothing at all. Switching out the pads, rotor, recentering, adjusting bite and all of that may do nothing at all. About the only somewhat reliable means is to re-weight the caliper, by getting some hobby stick-on lead weights (usually made for pine-wood-derby cars). These can change the frequency of the caliper enough so it doesn't do this. This problem was horrible with my codes, but I finally got it under control. It would do it again when I switched to new pads. I got a new bike now and it's doing it with the Elixrs, so I'm not very happy about it, plus I have an even newer bike on order that is going to come with Elixrs too.

It's odd too, because I've used so many different brakes and I've never found this to happen with others, yet with avid it seems to be very common (just search for Turkey Warble and Avid). Magura, Shimano, Hope, Formula, Hayes, etc. There must be something in testing/design that they just don't understand or do IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.