Special Purpose
    Oct 2009

Elixer 7 problems

So my rear brake started acting up. Symptom was that the rear brake would not work well intermittently. Lever feel and travel was the same, but sometimes it would work well, other times it barely worked at all.

At first I thought I had contaminated the pads (I just started cleaning with pledge), so I went to change them out. Couldn't quite get the pistons all the way in, so I thought I'd squeeze them out a bit to get them moving. Found that even with the pads out the pistons were only moving a few mm. Couldn't pop them out if I tried.

So I bought a bleed kit. Got the bleed block in place, syringes at both ends, but now i can't get fluid to move through the system at all. It's like I'm trying to push it into a closed system.

I'm baffled. I'm following the sram bleed procedure to the letter, but can't get fluid to flow from the lever to the caliper or from the caliper to the lever. I can apply enough pressure to get fluid to leak , but none goes into the system at all.

Ideas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Make sure your lever is 85ish millimeters from the tip of the lever to the center of the bar. If it is not, the system can be closed, making it impossible to bleed Use the reach adjust setting to change this. Where is the fluid leaking? At the hydro hose fittings? The lever body? The calipers? Banjo bolts?

And, stupid question here, but did you open the hose clamps?

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    I've messed around a good bit with the reach adjustment, no difference.

Leaks are little ones from the end of the hose on the syringe. Not leaking anywhere on the system, I'm just saying I'm applying a bunch of pressure, but no fluid goes in.

Yes, clamps are open.

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    Nevermind, got it.

Was something in the lever/mc. Partial dissasembly and messing with it got fluid flowing. From there, bleed was super easy.