mtbr member

Did SRAM Warranty policy change?

A couple of years ago, I had a SRAM Rockshox Reverb post fail after about a year of riding, post dropped but wouldn't extend. The air chamber would not hold air. Post went back to SRAM and was replaced, no questions asked.

Sold that bike (and post), but based on the previously stellar SRAM warranty service put another Reverb on the new bike. Flash forward 12 months and, yep, you guessed it...the Reverb failed. Same problem: post won't extend, air chamber won't hold air. Took the post to LBS (with receipt) for warranty work.

This time I'm told air seals are a wear item, and not covered under warranty. A rebuild will cost $200. Remember, this is a new post less than 12 months old. I am stunned that SRAM expects consumers to pay more than half the cost of a brand new post for what they apparently feel should be regular annual maintenance.

Not sure if SRAM changed their warranty policy on Reverbs, or if my LBS is just not advocating for me strongly enough (I've moved and the LBS I'm dealing with is not the shop that sold me the post.) Here's what I do know: I am extremely disappointed in SRAM and the LBS, unless SRAM reverses their decision to NOT warranty this post, I am done with SRAM products. I won't pay $200 every year for a rebuild, and I won't buy another SRAM product.

I will also go out of my way (hence the purpose of this post) to make sure that everyone I meet on the trails, real or virtual, knows that the vaunted SRAM warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Thanks for indulging my rant.

SS Pusher Man
    It is just like dust seals on a fork....they are consumables/wear items that should be serviced at least once a year, depending on mileage and use.

Learn to service it yourself.....it'll save you lots of time and money.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Service on that post is I believe 100 hours. If Sram feels that the post failed after that service interval, the post needs to be repaired/ serviced not replaced under warranty.
    The same goes for all your suspension components. They need to be serviced at around 100hr intervals, on your dime. (Hyro dropper post is a suspension component).
    $200 is a bit excessive. It should be around $120 to $150.

I find most people have no idea that their suspension/seatposts need regular maintenance. The manufacturers warranty coverage is based on the customers actually having this maintenance performed. If the maintenance is not done, then the warranty is void.
    Same thing as changing oil in your car. Don't do it? Don't expect a new engine due to your negligence.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    Service on that post is I believe 100 hours. If Sram feels that the post failed after that service interval, the post needs to be repaired/ serviced not replaced under warranty.
    The same goes for all your suspension components. They need to be serviced at around 100hr intervals, on your dime. (Hyro dropper post is a suspension component).

I find most people have no idea that their suspension/seatposts need regular maintenance. The manufacturers warranty coverage is based on the customers actually having this maintenance performed. If the maintenance is not done, then the warranty is void.
    Same thing as changing oil in your car. Don't do it? Don't expect a new engine due to your negligence.
    This makes sense

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post

I understand that all suspension components need regular maintenance. In fact, I had this done late last year just before I moved out of CT. Fork, rear shock and the Reverb which was about 4 or 5 months old at the time were all checked and serviced by my LBS. I specifically requested that the LBS check the Reverb given the fact I had one lose air pressure the previous year. Since then I have way less than 100 hours on the bike, probably less than 50. It is unlikely that the post has 100 hours on it total.

SRAM never asked how many hours were on the bike, or if the post had ever been serviced. Very disappointing.