mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Did I make a boo boo?

So...I'm switching back to full SRAM X0.

I currently have a 10 speed XTR M980 "long cage" SGS rear derailleur running on an 11/36 cassette w/ a sram x0 crank set running 38/24/bash rings. The bike came stock with this setup.

Was I correct in ordering a long cage x0 rear? According to the chain wrap calculation I'm at a 39 which is (front 38-24) + (rear 36-11) = 39.

The mid cage sram x0 rear is rated only to a 35 chain wrap capacity although its spec'd on many bikes running the same gearing as mine?
    The long cage is supposed to handle up to a 47 chain wrap capacity.

I also ordered the long cage so I could still use my existing chain and not have to re-size since it only has 300 miles on it.

Do any of you see any issues with the long cage or am I being over zealous in my thinking and it will work just like the long cage shimano thats on there now?

mtbr member
    It will work with no problems, but the medium cage would've worked as well.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    It will work with no problems, but the medium cage would've worked as well.
    So the mid cage would have worked but probably with unusable gears on each end of the range? Just trying to understand the logic.

Its funny as the x7 and x9 lines mid cages state a max of 39 for their chain wrap capacity but when you get into the x0 and xx lines the mid cages state a max of 35 for chain wrap.

Then the long cage x0 is a 47 and the long cage xx is a 40.

Seems like the mid cage would also be more difficult and more harsh on the derailleur hanger to shift under load or in a pinch while climbing etc.??? since it would hold more tension on the chain?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    SRAM mid cage rear derailleurs (at least XO and XX) will work fine with an 11-36 cassette and 39/26 chainrings. It's what I've been running on my 29er and I've experienced absolutely no problems.