mtbr member

Custom Avid Elixir R SL brakes - where do they rate?

So, my stock '11 Specialized Epic Comp (26) came with Custom Avid Elixir R SL brakes. While I am looking to make upgrades to the drivetrain currently, I'm just curious to know where these brakes rate in comparison to the Elixir line? anyone know?
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingmat View Post
    So, my stock '11 Specialized Epic Comp (26) came with Custom Avid Elixir R SL brakes. While I am looking to make upgrades to the drivetrain currently, I'm just curious to know where these brakes rate in comparison to the Elixir line? anyone know?
    They are essentially the same model as the now Elixir 7's.

Elixir R's were the same as the 7's before they changed all the brake names to match the gruppo names x7, x9 ... elixir 7, elixir 9 etc.....

The "SL" designation changes nothing about the brakes it only means that they have provided the aluminum backed organic pads to make the total brakeset with pads installed as light as possible. Most of the time the brakes were sold with standard steel backed sintered pads which are a bit heavier.

They are good brakes pending that you take the time to properly set them up, bed them in and make sure you calipers are properly aligned. Once this is done they are solid and I don't see a huge need to upgrade brakes unless you just have the money or want them. I would ride them until they fail or no longer meet your riding needs.

mtbr member
    cool, thanks for the info. they are the stock on my epic, was impressed with them and had no problems all season. won't be looking to upgrade them for a bit.
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

Former Bike Wrench
    I've been very happy with my Elixir R SL's...big improvement in modulation and reliability over my Juicy 5's I had on the previous bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    TJM0031, Thank You for that post, I put up a question regarding these brakes in the Specialized forum, and all I got were a couple smart-ass remarks about how the brakes sucked and called "Stupidly Loud"

I have these on a new framed 2012 El Mariachi, the parts came off a donor 2012 SJ Comp 29er, Ive riden the bikes a few times and love everything about it, including the brakes. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticCat500 View Post
    TJM0031, Thank You for that post, I put up a question regarding these brakes in the Specialized forum, and all I got were a couple smart-ass remarks about how the brakes sucked and called "Stupidly Loud"

I have these on a new framed 2012 El Mariachi, the parts came off a donor 2012 SJ Comp 29er, Ive riden the bikes a few times and love everything about it, including the brakes. Thanks
    No worries man. There is alot of hate out there for Avid products in general and I don't know why. We ride mountain bikes and they make noise because we beat them pretty hard riding off road. Most folks with those types of comments have not taken the time to properly set them up or bed the pads in. And pretty much any brake is going to give you noise. The Formula brakes they are now putting on the Stumpy FSRs this year are getting just as many if not more complaints than the Avids were. I like the avids and their stopping power as well. Especially since every pair of Shimano brakes I've ever ridden I feel like there is zero power when its needed.