mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Crankset not centered?

I put on a SRAM XX1 crankset on my 2015 epic and it looks like it's not centered on the frame.. i.e.: the left crank arm is about 3 mm from the chain stay and on the right, it's about 1.5 cm.. The washer according to the instructions goes on the drive side.. The chainline seems weird as well, as it's only straight when it's 3 cogs from the bottom.. Do I need to use different washers to center it? I used the one it came with.. Any help would really be appreciated.. On all my other bikes, the cranks seem entered on the frame, but on my epic they seem used to one side..

Formerly of Kent
    Have you considered the fact that your frame is probably not constructed in a symmetric manner?

AKA, the chainstays have different dimensions?

Plenty of bikes like that these days.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Check the distance between the seat tube and cranks. The seat tube is centered for sure.

Sounds like you have to move a spacer from the right side to the left. I have X0 cranks with a 68 mm BB shell, and used two spacers under the left cup and one under the drive side cup.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need to move some spacers from drive side to non-drive side.

Most important, I'd move spacers to get the chainline I need. As long as the chainline is good, I don't care if the spacing between crankarms and frame isn't even, as long as I have enough clearance. the chainline has to be good though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's the thing.. The cranks only came with one spacer and it's quite obvious it doesn't go on the non drive side. They were pretty even when I was using Shimano.. Just different with the SRAM.. Very frustrating..

Formerly of Kent
    What is the actual problem?

Your chain line might be slightly off (easily fixed), but other than that, I'm guessing you'll never notice.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mosovich View Post
    That's the thing.. The cranks only came with one spacer and it's quite obvious it doesn't go on the non drive side. They were pretty even when I was using Shimano.. Just different with the SRAM.. Very frustrating..
    Is the spacer something like 7mm? Why doesn't it go on the non-drive side? If it's just the spacers that go between the external bearings and the frame, get some new ones. If the one you have is really thick, I'd take a closer look and make sure it's not multiple ones stuck together really well.

mtbr member
    Even with just one spacer, if your cranks and chainline are biased to the right, move the spacer to the left.

Any gap between the drive side cup and crank? (There should be a small one.)

What's your BB shell width?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm using a Chris King BB as the Specialized one was cr#p.. The problem is my right leg feels like it's more out than the left.. So, it's not just a chainline issue.. Going to LBS tomorrow to see if they have some spacers.. Just a PIA though... I'll tinker with it tomorrow as it's supposed to rain, so I'll have some time on my hands..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Put on an XTR crankset.. Problem solved.. Anyone interested in a SRAM XX1 crankset, let me know...