mtbr member

Crank Bottom Bracket or Pedal creak?

Over the last few days I've been getting a lot of creaking from the bottom bracket/pedal area. It's an XX crank with SRAM PF30 BB and I have egg beater 3 pedals. The crank seems tight and it only makes the sound under hard power. It doesn't make the sound if I am not pedaling.

mtbr member
    Same here but I'm on a 2012 stumpy evo expert which also has the pf30 bb. Going to pull pedals and regrease before ride tonight. I've already greased the heck out of the bb and no luck.
    Been hearing that it could be a bad initial install of bb at factory, bike is going in tomorrow to get looked at. Bike is only 2 months old hope it gets fixed one way or another and hope you get yours sorted also as its very annoying.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Stumpy. I might have it fixed but I haven't ridden it yet except with sneakers in the driveway. I took the crank off and cleaned everything out real good. I'm not hearing it anymore when I go up the hill in my driveway. I'll see tomorrow. I bought my bike last Halloween so it's got quite a few hours already. I also hear that the egg beaters can creak pretty bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexgonzalezmi View Post
    Over the last few days I've been getting a lot of creaking from the bottom bracket/pedal area. It's an XX crank with SRAM PF30 BB and I have egg beater 3 pedals. The crank seems tight and it only makes the sound under hard power. It doesn't make the sound if I am not pedaling.
    I had the exact symptoms on my XO 's. It was the chainring bolts. Grease um up.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I hear all sorts of stories of creaks from press fit bottom brackets that develop after a few months of use. I think if there is any play at all in the bb/shell interface then it can creak. If you rule out everything else (chainring bolt is a good suggestion but I would never grease them - just make sure they're tight) then you may want to take it back to whoever did the build to check the bb.

mtbr member
    I did the build myself except for the bottom bracket. That was factory installed. I didn't think of the chainring bolts. I'll check those today.

mtbr member
    Checked the chainring bolts. They were loose so I tightened them. Sound is gone!