Always Learning

Changing the rubber grip on X.0 9 Speed grip shifters...

I've got the X.0 9 speed grip shifters which I have had for quite a few years. The rubber has been wearing, but this weekend in the heat of 95-100 degrees, they pretty much have turned to a sticky putty feeling and started disintegrating. So I guess it's time to get some new rubber. I'm also missing the plastic window housing that covers the left shifter indicator (must have fallen off in a race).

I see I can order the rubber grips, but are those plastic windows available anywhere? And does anyone know of a link to some online instructions for changing the grip shifter rubber grips? Is it pretty easy - or is it more on the tedious side of "small motor movement skills required" for the grip switch?

I don't know what the total costs will be for new rubber grips, but it might just be cheaper and easier for me to pick up the less expensive X.7 9 speed shifters as they seem to work just as well for me on another bike.

TIA

No longer 26
    The grips are easy enough to peal off and slide the new ones on. Contact Sram direct for the clear housing? I doubt they'd still have something. I don't think there is a difference in function between the X7 and X0 so it depends on which grip you prefer.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live View Post
    The grips are easy enough to peal off and slide the new ones on. Contact Sram direct for the clear housing? I doubt they'd still have something. I don't think there is a difference in function between the X7 and X0 so it depends on which grip you prefer.

G
    Thanks, G. It looks like I could change the rubber for a little over $30. I can live without the clear housing, but a call to SRAM might yield a new plastic piece.

I was adding up the option of upgrading to 2 x 10 with the twist shifters, derailleurs and what not. Ouch - major expense to go that way which I think I will skip at present....

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I looked into the price of a new window and indicator for my rear x.0 twist, the only place I could find it at the time had it listed at $20ish I think, I passed. I don't recall the rubber being that cheap either, I know with the right deal you could pickup new shifters for only a little more.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Huckin' trails
    New set of 3x9 X0 can be had for about $50 on eBay... And here's the instructions that came with mine regarding the rubber grip change :

Changing the rubber grip on X.0 9 Speed grip shifters...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348163821.665100.jpg

Changing the rubber grip on X.0 9 Speed grip shifters...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348163834.677733.jpg
    Changing the rubber grip on X.0 9 Speed grip shifters...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348163846.932800.jpg
    Changing the rubber grip on X.0 9 Speed grip shifters...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348163862.648699.jpg
    Changing the rubber grip on X.0 9 Speed grip shifters...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348163875.133998.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!