None
    Apr 2007

Cable Housing with BB7 brakes

Will I get good performance with standard brake cable housing when using with BB7 brakes? I have never used mechanicals before and putting them on a disc cross bike. I'm not really up to the task (or the expense) of installing something like the Nokon system so I was just looking for the best type of standard housing to use. Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    I ran Odyssey Linear cables on my bmx bike for years and the same product migrated to my mtb. use them with some slick cables and plenty of Triflow.

Huckin' trails
    Trick with mechs is using linear brake housing which is constructed of linear strands like a derailleur housing, but re-enforced to withstand the force of a brake cable. This will eliminate compression and make the lever feel solid and precise. Now it's up to the quality of the inner liner, inner cable and housing end prep to get the least friction possible and the stiffness of your brake lever body not to flex under hard lever pull.

Your best bet is using BB7, SD7 levers, full length linear brake housing and stainless cables plus metal ferules.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

None
    Apr 2007
    Thanks. I'll be using them on a road bike with drop bars so only have a choice of various drop bar brake levers.

Huckin' trails
    Then make sure to buy the road version of the BB7 to get optimal lever pull
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Im running generic cables and full length housing. In my opinion it works as good as jagwire or xtr, which I've used many times as well. The key is to keep the crud and water out of the housing. Double thumbs up for full length housing!!

None
    Apr 2007
    Great. Thanks for the advice. I just received Jagwire L3 (Ripcord) housing with ferrules and going to give it a try. I hope it works well as this will be my first time using cable disc brakes.