mtbr member

Bought an X0 Type 2 RD on eBay from Taiwan, is it Counterfeit?

I bought a new X0 Type 2 Rear Derailleur on the Bay, from a retailer that appeared to be genuine based on the feedback and the fact that they sell almost all bike components. It was a great price, so I jumped on it. When I get the derailleur, everything appears normal, except that the serial number on the derailleur cage is partially rubbed off (the last half of the numbers on the code).

My first thoughts is that this is either stolen or counterfeit. WWYD?
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Sorry, no pics right now as I am in the office, and the RD is at home.

Bicycle Addict

New question here.

I was considering buying an XX1 kit from the evilBay but I'm not so sure its the best idea.
    Says it from Michigan.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    I checked out that link, I would think that one looks pretty trustworthy. Only down side to that is that the seller only has 108 transactions. However, they are located in Michigan, so at least you have a pretty good idea that they are selling legitimate stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    I was considering buying an XX1 kit from the evilBay but I'm not so sure its the best idea.
    Says it from Michigan.

Go faster!
    What Would I Do? I'd bolt it up and ride it.

More than likely it was a factory reject and the SN might have been removed to prevent any potential warranty claims. Let us know if it goes tits up.

mtbr member
    I spoke to someone at SRAM and they pretty much confirmed that it is either counterfeit or a "Grey Market" item. It is likely a reject, like you say Rowe, that was never meant for sale. I either take a chance on the reject or hassle with a return on eBay. The only issue is that if it fails, I am out a large portion of money that would go towards a legit T2 RD.

mtbr member
    That is a standard reply from SRAM. They do not like their stuff being sold on Ebay and go to great lengths in getting serial numbers back to shut dealers down. I bet the removed the number so it could not be traced back to the original purchaser.

mtbr member
    The eBay store I bought it from offered me either to do a full refund, or they offered to warranty for a year. I have that written in a Resolution email, so I have a record of their offer. They have also done over 6K transactions, almost all in bike parts, so I figure they are not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    That is a standard reply from SRAM. They do not like their stuff being sold on Ebay and go to great lengths in getting serial numbers back to shut dealers down. I bet the removed the number so it could not be traced back to the original purchaser.

Bicycle Addict
    I'd take the warranty for a year and just ride what I had.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    I bought one of these about a month ago. it works flawlessly, bike is silent as a mouse. My serial numbers were ground off as well, but everything is in perfect working order, everything bolts up fine, its straight, the roller bearing is perfect, and the cage lock works awesome.

mtbr member
    That's good to know. I decided to keep it with the warranty from the seller. I'm mounting it up this week, and anxious to see if it helps eliminate my chain drop problems on my X0 2x10 setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryandurep View Post
    I bought one of these about a month ago. it works flawlessly, bike is silent as a mouse. My serial numbers were ground off as well, but everything is in perfect working order, everything bolts up fine, its straight, the roller bearing is perfect, and the cage lock works awesome.

mtbr member
    it will, i did a race on my old type 1 x0 rd on a 2x10 setup (superfly hardtail) and dropped chain 2 times, went back a week later on type 2 and dropped 0 chains and heard the grasshoppers chirpin

mtbr member
    Nearly all of my chain drop occurrences were in a race setting. First one was when I had the bike for less than a month, so it couldn't have been from wear. Every time, it was dropping from the 36t to the 28t ring. It started to occur only when I got a lot of trail chatter at high speed, but then started to recently occur when I was in a certain gear (36t up front and 4th cog from the highest), not 100% of the time, but at random.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryandurep View Post
    it will, i did a race on my old type 1 x0 rd on a 2x10 setup (superfly hardtail) and dropped chain 2 times, went back a week later on type 2 and dropped 0 chains and heard the grasshoppers chirpin

mtbr member
    yes, mine would drop when on big ring and on about the 4th or 5th cog at high speed chatter sections. hit the same section just as fast after 400 more people went through it twice, even bumpier. The rd kept the chain right where it should be.