Thread: Avid XX Brake

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Avid XX Brake

I just purchased a set of new 2013 Avid XX brakes. Install was pretty straight forward and easy, but I am having a problem with the front brake lever. It compresses smoothly and the brake seems to work fine, but the lever gets stuck in the compressed position and doesn't want to rebound back out without me having to pull on it.

I've been searching but haven't been able to find the info that I'm looking for on how to fix this or what it is. The brake is brand new and was bled at the factory.

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Rebleed it. If it still gets stuck and sucks air in, send it back for repair. I had the same problem and got it fixed by Avid durin 2-3 weeks. Now its perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm really hoping a rebleed will work. It's on a new build so 2-3 weeks of waiting to ride would kill.

mtbr member
    Of course, but if it gets stuck shortly after bleeding (maybe it works for a few rides!) you will have to send it away.

MTB B'dos
    My personal advice would be to sell them and buy some XTRs, trouble free and great power, or save some cash and get the XTs.

If you want to keep the brakes, I think I can help you.....As S-Works said, they probably need a bleed, however if when you try to bleed them you can't get fluid into the lever you might have to take the lever apart and pull out the internals.

Before you go into them, give this a try, something I didn't know until I carefully went over all instructionals I could find when I had to work on some. Make sure when you're bleeding them that the lever is no more than 75-80mm off the bar, this is a very important step, if it's too far off you won't be able to bleed. Attached an image taken from the service PDF showing what I mean. If you haven't downloaded that PDF, do yourself a favour and do so, it's very helpful if you read it all the way through.

If by chance doing the bleed properly doesn't work, removing the internals and putting the seal right (I believe it get's inverted) should set it right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avid XX Brake-xxwc_xx_xo_service_manual_r.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just read through the manual. I paid close attention to the bleeding instructions. It sounds like there may not be enough fluid in my brakes which would be causing the lever to stay compressed. One of the steps in the bleed process right after holding the lever down all the way is to slowly pump fluid into the system while letting the brake lever return.

I'm going to go pick up a SRAM bleed kit today and see if I can get this figured out.

mtbr member
    Why are people still buying Avid brakes? Seriously. If you read reviews online or ask local riders they're almost always negative.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Why are people still buying Avid brakes? Seriously. If you read reviews online or ask local riders they're almost always negative.
    Avid brakes have been excellent for me.

The 2010 Elixir CR's on my DH bike have been perfect after 3 seasons and never bled.

The World Cups on my SW Epic 29er have been flawless.

On the other hand, my son's XTR's after one season leaked out of the master cylinders. Luckly while at Crankworx Whistler last summer, Shimano rebuild them at no cost.

There are both good and bad with ALL products.
    15 E29 Expert - ordered
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    I absolutely agree but if 8 out of 10 people have problems, even if it's 5 out of 10, I wouldn't buy that product. Everyone I know has had nothing but problems with their Avid brakes, including their top of the line XX.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    After picking up a bleed kit, taking my time and making sure there was as little air in the system as possible, I still had the same issue with the lever not returning.

The bike shop I purchased them from has no problem refunding them for me, so I think that is the route I am going to take.

I'm not set on what brakes I am going to get yet, but the Shimano XTR's don't come with rotors. What would the best XC rotors be? The shimano rotors have their centerlock mount but my hubs are for a 6 hole mount...

mtbr member
    Yeah, Avid will give you a refund so will Easton when their hubs fail but at some point people should just stop buying their stuff.

mtbr member
    My wifes Elixir CR: perfect
    My Avid Elixir XX: perfect
    My Avid Elixir XX WC: rear perfect, front had to be repaired - now perfect

So - whatīs the problem?

Edit:
    My friends Avid XX: perfect
    My friends Avid 7: perfect
    My fathers Avid Elixir: perfect

;-)
    Last edited by S-Worker; 01-11-2013 at 09:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Ok...
    Everyone I know - Not perfect.
    That's the problem.

I'm done. Good luck to the OP. If the refunded brakes don''t work, exchange them for another brand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well I returned the XX brake I was having issues with and was going to replace it with the same thing. The shop didn't have any more front XX brakes in stock, so they worked with me and refunded my front and rear brakes, and I decided to go with the XTR's which were in stock. Listened to a few people in here about how good they are, but the bike techs had the same advice for me at the shop. Can't ride until Friday but I'm excited to see how they are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    nice

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have had a ton of issues with my XX brakes on my S-works. 2010

mtbr member
    My 2013 X0 Trail Brakes are flawless.

mtbr member
    Also, for the sticky lever thing with the XX, I've fixed it by taking the pads out and squeezing the lever till the pads go in slightly further, then press out the pistions all the way, and it seemed to fix it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi guys i am thinking about buying either Avid XX brakes or the new XTR M987īs
    i think though the Xtrīs are a bit cheaper and weight wise they might be equal.
    i have magura MT6īs on my 2013 Epic but i feel they have lost pressure, i have to "pump" the levers and then the pressure rebuilds as it feels.
    might need a bleed and new pads but still i think those are better brakes than the ones on the bike so any advice on which i should choose?

mtbr member
    Read my previous post #8 above.

Still running a mix of XX and XX WC. Avid dropped the WC version for 2014 as there was so little difference between them.

Have Formula The One on my '12 Stumpjumper FSR EVO 29 and they have been just fine, although under constant heavy breaking, the rear packs up in the lever, giving a very hard lever feel, but the braking is still good.

On my new '14 SW Epic WC build, I am again using XX.

My son's XTR's have been terrible. His DH bike as previously mentioned, had a complete rebuild twice! His set on his '13 Banshee Prime 29 require frequent bleeding. They work great when fresh, but require lots of service and he laments about them often.

Bleed your MT6's before going out and getting something new. If that fails and you are intent on something new, I have had great success buying new XX on Pinkbike from take-offs at half the list price.

Final advice, and to myself as well. Keep your finger off the brake lever, practice better bike handling.
    15 E29 Expert - ordered
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    thanks mate
    yeah i know keeping hands on the brakes tends to brake too much too often and thus wearing on the pads.
    the thing is i had a terrible accident last summer where i was hit by a car and broke my spine and my left shoulder as well so i am a little too much on the brakes but that is me being cautious i really donīt wanna crash any more and i know when being too cautious accidents tend to happen.
    Well iīll bleed the Maguras and maybe change pads too, since i live in Sweden and i have no other bike it has been an all year bike for me so i might have wearied down the pads a bit