mtbr member
    Jan 2006

anyone have trouble with XX WC brakes?

My 2012 SRAM/ Avid XX World Cup brakes suddenly failed, causing me to overshoot a turn and crash. While I was never impressed with their performance, I never had them just suddenly go out. When I took my bike to my local shop, they were going to check the brake pads and bled the system, but while the mechanic was unscrewing the bolt that holds the pads in, the bolt sheared off. Im calling SRAM tommorrow for a warranty, but dont know if I can trust these brakes again. I have always been a SRAM guy and will continue, since I think their shifting performance is second to none, but the brakes......

I heard that SRAM has had problems with these brakes, wondering if anyone else had problems such that I had and what they/ you did to fix the problem.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I had a brand pair of 2011 XX WCs that went mushy after a week or two of just sitting without use. I bled them and they went did the same thing within 10 days. Sent them in and they sent me the new 2012s.

Ive had them for 4 months with no problems. No need for bleeds. They were smooth, quiet and powerful. My rear brake did just start making the turkey gobble/vibration/squeal recently but still stops just fine. No loss in power, no failure and no mushy brakes though.

mtbr member
    The 2011 WC brakes had some problems with stuck pistons. My 2012 wc brakes are ok as same as my "normal" 2011 xx brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Check the brake forums about the XX brake problems. I had nothing but problems with my 2011s. SRAM sent me the new 2012 XX wc's as well. Again, noththing but problems after to first few rides. They were always shop installed and bled... many times. They would lose their pump in the middle of the first ride after a bleed. After a few rides with them I never knew if I was going to have brakes when I needed them. NOT good. Luckily I purchased them new as part of a full XX build kit on my new Turner through my LBS. After fighting these brakes for months my LBS worked something out with SRAM and I am now running the new XTR trails. The best brakes ever in history... so far. Hopefully you bought them new through a LBS. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

those darn pad bolts

I have the 2012's also. No problems on losing braking power so far but had the same issue with the pad retaining bolts. Bought a new set of 2012's. Went to install on my bike. Was going to shorten the lines and bleed so the first logical step is to remove the pads so they don't get contaminated. I went to loosen the pad retaining bolt, of course after removing the c-clip, and the bolt head sheared off. Tried to remove the screw on the other caliper and that bolt was stripped in the caliper. I took them to my buddy who works at an LBS to warranty them for me. SRAM gave some song and dance about me over tightening the bolt, not removing the c-clip before loosening, questioning my ability to work on bikes, etc. They were not going to warranty but my buddy pulled some strings and got some new calipers through a little bait and switch and was able to warranty mine through another set. It appears they are having some issues with over tightening of that bolt at the factory by someone or something.

How did yours turn out with the warranty?