mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Alternative XX1 chainrings?

Seems I can destroy the XX1 chainring pretty fast. After a season I'm into the grinding and slipping phase. The grinding wasn't so bad if I was riding by myself, put in the earbuds and turn the music higher. But the slipping on the climbs sucks. So before I buy another Sram ring, is there a better (durable) ring? I saw some Wolf (I think that was the name) rings, but it was direct mount bypassing the spyder. Why on earth would you want to make swapping your ring harder lol? Ideas?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by srbell View Post
    Seems I can destroy the XX1 chainring pretty fast. After a season I'm into the grinding and slipping phase. The grinding wasn't so bad if I was riding by myself, put in the earbuds and turn the music higher. But the slipping on the climbs sucks. So before I buy another Sram ring, is there a better (durable) ring? I saw some Wolf (I think that was the name) rings, but it was direct mount bypassing the spyder. Why on earth would you want to make swapping your ring harder lol? Ideas?
    Crank comes off easily. Takes less than five minutes if you're speedy. I do have the Wolftooth. I can't comment on durability because my drive train is new. I have read regardless of the manufacturer, the smaller rings wear faster but hopefully I won't have that problem. I replace my rings once a year and over ten years ago i had to do it twice a year so I think durability has improved.

Nor­wegr
    I'm fed up with the xx1 crank all together. Getting either a common 104bcd type crank or the new raceface cinch system to replace it.

The raceface rings can be run both ways so that adds a little life to them.
    WTB: