Thread: 2x11(xx1)????

mtbr member

2x11(xx1)????

So here goes.Been running xx1 for a few weeks now and absolutelly LOVE it.Been running a 32 for most of my rides and 30 for lap racing.Question is i can see that if i do a multistage(say 7 day) mtb race i'm going to loose out somewhere on the gearing(usually top end).So my thoughts are,just for the 1 or 2 multi stage races i do,to convert to 2X11.Easy done,just slap on a left trigger,FD,change spider on xx1 crank to a duel and slap on 10spd chain.All should take about 30min to do.
    What you think?Chainline on 11spd?Shifting up front?
    Chillie

mtbr member
    I know your chain line would be off so avoid cross shifting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I thought the design of the XX1 rear derailleur was such that running anything but 1x up front with it was not possible? Because it only moves in one plane it can't take up the slack when moving between different chainrings. Or something like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    I thought the design of the XX1 rear derailleur was such that running anything but 1x up front with it was not possible? Because it only moves in one plane it can't take up the slack when moving between different chainrings. Or something like that.
    True, I think you are correct on that as well!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    They also said system only works as a whole etc etc..but already seen guys using only parts of the groupset.Anyway only one way to fond out.Got 3 weeks of lap racing and then going to give it a go,got all the parts lying around anyway.Will keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Your RD will not be able to handle the difference in chain length. You'll end up with too much slack when in the small ring and smaller gears (bad) or you'll rip your RD off when in big/big (very bad)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: 2x11(xx1)????

The rd only moves horizontally. If you want to run an fd it also needs to move vertically. There is a video of someone from sram explaining it. Basically he said if you try to use it with a FD you'll have to buy a lot of new components...
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Mr. Knowitall

2x11(xx1)????

A guy on the Norwegian MTB forum tried 2x11 with XX1, and it did not work properly in the long run. Problem is when you change chainring and the upper pulley will change distance to the cassette...