Thread: 2 x 10 Issues

mtbr member

2 x 10 Issues

I have a Truvativ X9 2 x 10 (39T) crankset on my Yeti Bigtop. After about a month of use I had issues with the chain coming off the large chain ring while riding over typically rough ground but sometimes while making a shift on the rear in the middle of the cassette.

I have changed the chain, shortened it and changed out the chain ring due to shifting issues from small to large rings.

Any one else had a similar issue or know of a fix?

My next course of action is to switch to a Shimano crankset.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Get some sort of tensioner. Blackspire Stinger or Bionicon V2 Guide works good.

mtbr member
    There's no good beer in AZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a full X9 setup and have been riding on a Trek 9.8/Chumba XCL for a few months and I ride a few times a week and never have had a problem. If I were to guess, I would look at the rear dérailleur. The spring might be defective, that is the only way I could way I see the chain coming off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Occasionally, I would have my chain hop over when I upshifted to the big ring, but that was a limit issue. As others have suggested, I would check your rear derailleur's spring. The Sram stuff has stupidly strong springs in them, and if you are having drop issues, that would be a good place to start looking.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys as I will check out the spring and if all ok then maybe a tensioner before I make the plunge into Shimano.

As an FYI there are a few good beers in AZ you just have to know where to look.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Nimbus brewery for example is quite tasty. I recently converted to a 2x10 setup. I cut the chain to the length SRAM called for. It seemed really short to me coming from a 3x10 setup, but it has worked just fine. I would guess your chain is a bit long still. Proper length according to them is big/big plus one more link. The derailleur is stretched out to the max if you ride big/big, but it hasn't caused a problem yet.

I <3 dirt
    Might be a stupid question but have you checked front dérailleur height?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1