mtbr member
    Sep 2008

104bcd chainrings for xx1?

xx1 has a bcd measure of 76mm, basically meaning you'll have to buy complete crankset in order to use original xx1 chainrings.

Looking to move away from the old 9speed setup I'm currently running and xx1 sounds good but I'll have brand new RF Sixc cranks with 104bcd for the outer ring, so the question is whether any one (e13, mrp, ...) are coming out with xx1 compatible chainrings that have 'normal' bcd measures?

Sixc cranks would also offer the possibility to use a bash together with xx1 system. Think it's absolutely insane that xx1 cranks doesn't offer the option to run a bash!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    From what I understand the funky xx1 chainring is to avoid using the chainguide. So just use any single specific ring with a guide and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    From what I understand the funky xx1 chainring is to avoid using the chainguide. So just use any single specific ring with a guide and you should be fine.
    Yep, xx1 doesn't require a guide. Currently I'm running 1x9 with chainguide and I want to get away from that with either 10speed shimano shadow plus/sram type 2 rear derailleur. xx1 is another option for this, but I want to use old cranks (104bcd) with xx1 specific chainring.. So, my question was are 104bcd xx1 compatible chainrings available?

Or maybe I just didn't get your post...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What I meant is that any 10 speed compatible ring will work fine with xx1 chain. You just need a guide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Is there any question between XX1 and a normal 10-speed chain?
    IŽd like to combinate my XX drivetrain with the new XX1 crankset!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coldmirow View Post
    Is there any question between XX1 and a normal 10-speed chain?
    IŽd like to combinate my XX drivetrain with the new XX1 crankset!
    I'm running an XX1 crank and 32T chainring with an XT 10 Speed chain and an XTR Shadow Plus rear mech. It works just fine, the difference between a 10 speed and an 11 speed chain is pretty minimal as far as I can tell. Chain retention seems to be very good but I don't think I'd want to run it without a guide if I wasn't using a clutch type rear mech (Shadow Plus or Type 2).