mtbr member
    Aug 2010

10 speed chain used on full XX1 drivetrain

Hey all, I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the information I've been looking for. I see a lot of threads where people ask if 9 or 10 speed chains will work with the XX1 chainrings (I assume to use the XX1 crank on other drivetrains), but I'm unable to find information on a standard 10-speed chain using the XX1 crank, derailleur and cassette. Has anyone tried this yet? I really hope this works considering I'm getting to the end of my first XX1 chain and I really don't want to buy another $55 chain. I take care of my equipment, but I ride as hard as I can. I weigh 225lbs and like to ride a lot of technical terrain. I tend to put a lot of torque on a drivetrain and as such, my chains never last long. I know SRAM claims the XX1 chain will last longer due to their new wunder dunder coating, but apparently it doesn't work for clydes like me. Frankly, I wasn't expecting much from the new coating. My preference is to buy the standard $25 KMC chain. They last as long as anything else I've ever used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The 9 and 10 speed chain will work on the crank, but not the 11-speed der... The thinner 11-speed chain is required for that...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    The 9 and 10 speed chain will work on the crank, but not the 11-speed der... The thinner 11-speed chain is required for that...
    Damn. Good point. Didn't think of that. Hmmm..... I wonder if I could change the pulleys on the derailleur for some standard 10 speed ones? Wonder if it would work then? Any problems with the cassette being used with a 10 speed chain?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Laterilus View Post
    Damn. Good point. Didn't think of that. Hmmm..... I wonder if I could change the pulleys on the derailleur for some standard 10 speed ones? Wonder if it would work then? Any problems with the cassette being used with a 10 speed chain?
    The chain also needs to be narrow enough to work on the XX1 cassette. If the RD cage is narrower, the cog spacing would be, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    $55 is pretty cheap for a higher quality chain, if you can grab an XX1 for that. KMC and Wippermann (among others) have chains that retail for double that.

mtbr member
    I'd look for deals on the XX1 chain. I bought two for $44 each a month ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wow. You have a top end group set. But don't won't to spend $55 on a key component. Talk about being a tight ass.
    S-Works Venge
    S-Works Crux Disc
    Stumpjumper Expert EVO HT 29er
    Crux SS - Team Stumpjumper
    Roubaix Expert - Neon Pink

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes big problems with using a 10sp chain with the XX1 Cassette. The 11 speed chain is just narrow enough to fit between the cogs. The fit is so tight that I had trouble getting my XX1 drive train set up properly. To work with my frameset I needed to add a washer between my derailleur and the hanger/dropout to get my high gear limit adjusted outboard enough. What I initially though was good caused slight rubbing of the chain and the next biggest cog (most noticeably on the smaller cogs). This slight rubbing turned into loud and constant clicks while pushing hard on the cranks while riding.
    The spacing (outer and inner limit adjustment) is crucial to getting the XX1 drive train working properly.

mtbr member
    I had to refrain from insulting you OP....but to answer your question, always stick with the same "speed" drivetrain parts. And as mentioned, $55 is pretty cheap for a modern chain of decent quality...
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...