mtbr member

10 Speed Cassette - Is this normal?

I purchased a SRAM XG-1080 X-Dome cassette and have about a season and half of riding on it and it's failing in muliple spots. Check it out:

Lots of teeth are sheared off, some have broken off and/or are cracking. I've never seen a cassette fail in so many places after only a season and half os use.

Is this normal for a 10 Speed cassette?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge_Rider View Post
    I purchased a SRAM XG-1080 X-Dome cassette and have about a season and half of riding on it and it's failing in muliple spots. Check it out:

Lots of teeth are sheared off, some have broken off and/or are cracking. I've never seen a cassette fail in so many places after only a season and half os use.

Is this normal for a 10 Speed cassette?
    Mostly, it just looks worn out. Power dome cassettes were designed for light weight, not durability.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Mostly, it just looks worn out. Power dome cassettes were designed for light weight, not durability.
    So normal wear/tear on a Power Dome cassette is shearing off rows of teeth from the carrier body? I expect tooth wear, but shearing off chunks of the cassette in mulitple areas seems a little excessive.

I also had a friend completely shear off a cog from his cassette, as we were riding back from a ride, his bike wasn't shifting right. We stopped and notice the cassette was loose on his hub, then we counted the cogs and there was only 9. We both thought this was strange (his cassettte was only a month old at the time), but from what you're saying this is also normal?

I don't expect the cassette to last forever, but a season and half seems a little short for a $300.00 + cassette.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge_Rider View Post
    So normal wear/tear on a Power Dome cassette is shearing off rows of teeth from the carrier body? I expect tooth wear, but shearing off chunks of the cassette in mulitple areas seems a little excessive.

I also had a friend completely shear off a cog from his cassette, as we were riding back from a ride, his bike wasn't shifting right. We stopped and notice the cassette was loose on his hub, then we counted the cogs and there was only 9. We both thought this was strange (his cassettte was only a month old at the time), but from what you're saying this is also normal?

I don't expect the cassette to last forever, but a season and half seems a little short for a $300.00 + cassette.
    I see lots of severe tooth wear in addition to the broken teeth.

You are paying $300 for light weight, not long life.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had two off these cassettes replaced by SRAM no questions asked. A tooth broke on mine with very little use on them. A SRAM employee said it was a known issue after the second one. I believe it was a heat treating issue but not sure. Might be too old/late for a warranty at this point but if it's from the batch they had issues with you may get a new one if you go through the shop you purchased from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I see lots of severe tooth wear in addition to the broken teeth.

You are paying $300 for light weight, not long life.
    +1 looks like a lot of tooth wear, judging by the cassette the chain is just as dirty. Could be cause for premature wear with an extremely dirty drivetrain. Also doesn't help that this is a lightweight/non durable cassette. The dirt just sped things up

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I have actually seen a handful of broken teeth and cogs on Sram cassettes over the last few years. Mostly 850s and 950s. Shimano cassettes might cost more and be heavier but they last SOOO much longer.