mtbr member

Upset your opinions... 3rd time in a row.... very dissapointed

My girlfriend has a Hardrock sport disc.. not the highest end bike, but a good start for her to feel out the sport of mountain biking...Luckily for me she really likes it, but is not-so-much in love with her bike at the moment.

Beginning at the end of the season (mind you the bike was purchased in july of last year) last year... the bike has a whole wopping 40ish miles on it. she rides like my grandma....

riding along smooth doubletrack the right crank arm falls off, ok... i can see this, no problem... warrantied new crank arm and she's back in buisness..

The bike is put away for the winter,... Pull it back out this spring, 2nd ride of the season, 20 miles after the original warranty service. the left crank falls off ....

Back to the LBS we go. they say, we'll replace everything, BB, cranks etc etc etc under warranty.. Im happy with that..

Just today, 4th ride of the season, SIX miles after the second warranty deal, the right crank falls off...

LUCKILY THIS TIME I found the bolt, (the other two couldnt be found) I look at it, the bolt the holds the crank on is stripped, or at least the first 1/4 inch of it....

Im at my wits end, the bike shop is Eddys Bike Shop in Stow, Ohio.. They've been very good with no questions asked warranty. but this is really getting old quick..

Your thoughts??
    Last edited by motherfudpucker; 04-30-2007 at 09:16 AM.

I'm thinking that whoever is putting these things together is NOT using a torque wrench.

Zinn tells me that the crank arm bolt should be lightly greased and torqued to 300-435 ft-lbs. When I worked at a shop and assembled bikes, we were told to use the upper end of that range. If a customer came in with loose or fallen off crank arms, we could always trace it back to a particular guy who always forgot to torque the crank arm bolts properly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    I'm thinking that whoever is putting these things together is NOT using a torque wrench.

Zinn tells me that the crank arm bolt should be lightly greased and torqued to 300-435 ft-lbs. When I worked at a shop and assembled bikes, we were told to use the upper end of that range. If a customer came in with loose or fallen off crank arms, we could always trace it back to a particular guy who always forgot to torque the crank arm bolts properly.

Please tell me that is a typo!

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It is either the bike shop or you girl friend is taking some nice hits on her cranks. Since she is a beginer I dont think your going downhilling. I have a friend on a 22" '07 black rockhopper and hes 240# and has no trouble.

Im not sure whats wrong with your bike shop but thats nuts. Some how that bottom bracket is damaged, did they replace it or just say they did? I think you should have a calm talk with them and ask them about the work that they will do.

I never use torque wrench and mine never falls off. You can feel it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tripod
    Please tell me that is a typo!
    Nope, that's why I have one of these laying around

I typically tighten the bolts down to 500ft-lbs to be on the safe side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Nope, that's why I have one of these laying around

Dude, you have a huge crank!

I know, I know, you never get tired of hearing that!

Trying a little
    over-tightened crank bolt. common mistake.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Isn't over-tightening a bad thing?

BTW, that's an awesome-looking torque wrench that you have there.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    I had an 05 Hardrock pro, went through 3 bottom brackets, had a crank-arm fall off during a ride (I was really confused for a moment about how I was still clipped in, but my foot was on the ground). My problems were with an ISIS style BB. Eventually, a new bottom bracket and some lock-tite did the trick.

You might want to think about pushing for an entirely new bike on warranty. The BB shell might be warped. Also, now would be a good time to start talking about free upgrades. See how good their customer service is.

mtbr member
    well, the bike is loaded on the rack. Im taking it back today after work. I think I would like to talk to the owner, who is usually there, and the service manager at the same time. Im not going in there looking for an arguement, I just either want the problem fixed for good, or for her to get a new bike out of it.... we'll see i guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes that is a TYPO or it better be!!!!....

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk

Crank arm torque IS NOT 300 to 435 FOOT POUNDS!!! It is 300 to 435 INCH POUNDS!!! There is a HUGE difference between ft/lbs and in/lbs!!!! 300 foot pounds is 3600 inch pounds!!!!!!!! You'll strip bolts like crazy at 300 foot pounds.

motherfud...sounds like your LBS has a problem not Specialized. What year is the bike. It makes a difference as to what BB and crankset we're talking about. The 04 and 05 Hoppers used a Truvative square taper BB and a 5d crank, if that's the case, replace them both with something else. The 06 model went to the Truvative "Power Spline" bb and crank (ISIS system). There is a VERY specific procedure for the installation of the carnks to the spindle for these. They work well, but do require that the install procedure be followed TO THE LETTER! Or they will come loose. If it's an 07 model it should have a Shimano splined system installed and only requires proper installation of the bb and proper torque be applied with installing the crank arms. Plus ALL of the above listed cranks should be checked for proper torque after the first few rides. But NONE should just fall off during a ride. That's an improper install problem if I ever heard one.

My suggestion would be to find a different LBS. As even the lowly Truvative square taper stuff should take a few rides to loosen up if they are correctly installed in the first place. You won't get the whole bike replaced for a BB/crank problem under warranty. The only way you'd get a new bike is if the frame failed (cracked, broke etc.). So don't count on that one. But there IS a solution, it's called a new crankset and bottom bracket that is CORRECTLY installed per manufacturers directions to begin with.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    please keep us informed as to the progress of this situation. i'm curious to find out what they'll do.

mtbr member
    well, quick update, to answer squash'es question. its an 06 model. and as far as where its at right now. i stopped in on my way to work this morning.
    I asked to speak with the owner,and the service manager and asked if we could have a little pow wow in the back. I showed them all the parts, including the stripped out bolt threads. I asked if it was george (the service manager) or one of the kids doing the service on this. he looked at the reciept from a week and a half ago, and showed me it was one of the younger guys in the back. i told him, it looks to me like they just jammed the crank onto the splines and tried to run it down with the bolt (stripping out the threads while doing so). I told them this is getting extremely old, extremely fast... so i kind of put the ball in there court. They asked if i would give them one more chance. and the owner said george and I will install it ourselves.. i said ok... i figured documentation of the repeated service, speaks for its self..
    O and also, i feel; like an ass, but its a hardrock sport disc, not a rockhopper. im going to edit my first post.. sorry for any confusion

mtbr member
    and as far as the wrong torque specs, I kinda figured that was a typo... lol hell even four bolt mains on a chevy small block are somehwre around 250ish foot pounds. haha and those are holding in a crankshaft thats spinning at 7000 rpm.....