mtbr member

Yet More E150 Fork ?'s

I have an 08 SL comp and I am wondering what the wear in time for the fork is because I am getting terrible stiction when I ride. Also I seem to be getting this rattle type noise coming from the front end when I am on rough terrain. At 3200 the bike shouldnt sound like a huffy coming down the trail. Could this be due to a loose headet and if so how do I tighten it on these forks. Im not a newbie just a newbie to DC forks so any help would be appreciated....Im 200 pounds and I have to run about 10 to 15 lbs less than recomended to get 37.5 to 40mm of sag on the fork. Messed with the spike valve and was set at 50 psi so I pumped it up to 70 to see if that would help but to no avail...is the a better setting for the spike valve??

mtbr member

Sorry mate, but.....

Darkslide,

It isn't anything that you could have improved and the forks certainly won't "break-in" - Welcome to the well attended club of disgruntled Enduro SL owners........This is what almost all of us have been living with

I have just cleaned my 07 SL Pro in order to take back to bike shop into the New Year with yet more front & rear suspension problems (already had one shock and fork cartridges previously fitted and the quality of suspension has never been acceptable even with these); the bike handles like a trampoline at the back and feels dead at the front......In fact, any suspension available at all at the front-end for normal trail riding (ie, anything other than really big hits) is provided entirely by my arms & body, which feel like I've been operating a road-repairer's pneumatic drill after about 8 miles riding

Thank goodness I still had my trusty Ellsworth Joker to see me through the Christmas & New Year break; it might be a few years old and heavy, but still out-plays the Enduro SL I bought to replace it!!

I suggest that you too book your bike in with your bike shop, so that they can fit some more exactly the same, un-design-improved replacement parts
    Last edited by Lipps64; 12-31-2007 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Does anyone on here remember back in "91,92 when Specialized first released their inhouse brand of suspension forks? I never got to try them out but I do remember that within a year or two they no longer used their own forks and went back to using other brands of suspension for their bikes. I never heard why they quit using their own forks or what the problem was with them but I am surprised to hear that 15 years later they are still having issues with their own brand of forks.
    As for their frame shocks, I assume that are doing well from the lack of complaints.... or am I just making an assumption? Reason I ask is because next month I am getting a Pitch and if it is going to save me trouble in the long term I will go with the Comp model since it uses a frame shock from X-Fusion, who has come along way over the last couple of years.

mtbr member

No good Don't mean to be a party pooper, but.....

Sorry for the bad news, but reliability of the Specialized AFR, as fitted to Enduro SL's (certainly 2007 versions) has been nothing short of diabolical..........Not just my own experience; look through the threads on here or ask for advice at an impartial bike shop; the overwhelming evidence is damning......

Failing that, look up the test reviews for Enduro SL's compiled by reputable magazines; even for bikes supplied checked-over & fitted-out directly by Specialized for the purpose of achieving a good write-up; at best you'll only come accross "mediocre" verdicts

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I work at shop, we sell a lot of Specialized bikes. I would estimate that unfortunately 1/2 of the Enduro SL's we sell have the suspension totally replaced and/or heavily serviced within the first 3 months of ownership. There are good ones but, my official guess is that QC is terrible. One of our guys has had his and loves it with no issues for 3 months, he's a pro level racer, he's quick and hard on his stuff. It'll be interesting to see how much longer Specialized can afford the amount of warranty issues they must be facing. All I can say is, at least their customer service and warranty service is top notch.

mtbr member
    Thanx for the info...the only problem is that the shop i bought it from is about 600 miles away but I do have a specialized dealer right down the street from my place. question is would they be able to help me out with warranty issues?? Or do I have to go back to the exact same shop I purchased it from?? Thanx

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Official Specialized Dealership

Hi Darkslide

The way that I understand it, is that you can take your bike to any Official/Authorised Specialized Dealership and they will take up warranty issues for you - After-all, your warranty agreement is with Specialized and not with a bike shop.....

Just like a new car, really; as you are probably aware, you can take a new car into any Authorised Dealership akin to the car manufacturer for warranty issues. [SIZE="2"]However[/SIZE], the difference being for cars, is that the warranty is transferable within the original term (ie, if you have a 3 year warranty provided with the bike from new and sell the bike on in a year and a half; the warranty still has value for a further year and a half to the new owner [ie, the car's value does not depreciate significantly because any residual warranty has not been automatically annulled at the time of re-sale])..........

Unlike Specialized's warranty that only lasts for the period that the original owner has the bike in their possession (certainly morally wrong and possibly legally challengable?!!). Therefore, it is critical that you take the bike back for every single warranty issue until you are either entirely satisfied that the bike is performing as it should/said it would on the tin. If within the warranty period, Specialized fail to provide you with a bike, as had been described/reliable/fit for purpose, then you are at liberty to ask for a full refund

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The creaking is usually the clamps that go on the sanctions of the forks, they need to
    be greased with waterproof marine grease and torqued to 75 INCH pounds.

What psi are you running?

Please define the stiction a little better. It is normal for the fork to not return to being fully extended once you get off the bike, 10mm should be normal but anything much more than that may be a problem.

I do have the creaking and a little stiction but it doesnt bother me becuase I know that the cause is harmless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You may try added a little air to rase the pressure. I usually run about 30mm of sag, which still keeps the fork in its happy zone as far as travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    On a few that I've messed with to see if the bushings are causing stiction, I've put a load (put your foot on the fork legs or push the wheel against a wall or something) on the fork and compressed it. If you feel a lot of friction your bushings are probably toast for one reason or another.

mtbr member
    Well its not the headset....it seems that there is some play in the fork itself....I Apply the front brake and rock the bike back n forth and I get this little bit of play when the fork is uncompressed I even get it when I drop the travel with the attitude adjust or if I just compress it manually.....so when I am riding it I get this knocking sound when the fork in compresing and rebounding...its not real loud but like Ive said before for the price Ive paid for the bike you would think the tolerances would be a little closer....anther question I have is could my fork have been built with 07 internals seeing as how it is an early 08 bike..I purchased it in november. by raising the air pressure and running a little less sag , say at 30mm instead of the the 37.5 mm Im currently running might this remedy this :knocking" problem or should I take it into a shop and see what they say....I do have to say that the bike is awesome except for the small to medium bump sensitivity. I run about 3 clicks out from full fast rebound and that seems to be the swet spot for me or do these forks work better with faster rebound?? Ive watched the video on specialized an mccandrews says that he runs his full fast but I dont know if that make sense...it gives the bike a pogo feel....anyways Ive rambled on long enough