Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    joe dirt
    Reputation: Cipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    39

    Yet another "my custom" Epic Marathon

    Still fresh, single, and willing to mingle. Enter Epic Marathon custom build.

    FSA Carbon face stem
    FSA Carbon handlebar
    Shimano XTR Hollowtech II Crankset '06
    Shimano XTR Front Derlr '06
    Shimano XTR Titanium 9sp Cassette '07
    Shimano XTR Rear Derlr '07
    Shimano XTR Rapidfire Plus Shifters F&R '06
    Shimano XTR 9sp chain '07
    Magura Marta SL Disc Brakes/Levers F&R '07
    Mavic Crossmax SL Disc UST '06
    Hutchinson UST Python
    Fox F100 X 2007
    Chris King Threadless red
    E.S.I. grips
    Crank Bro Egg Beater Ti
    Thomson Elite Seatpost (stock)
    Fizik Gobi Gold 2006
    2007 Specialized Epic Marathon frame (S)

    Getting all the parts shipped was a clean downhill ride, but getting them all together in epicville was a little bit bumpy when I almost lost my patience tweaking Magura. My analog fishscale shows 23-3/4 lbs., and LBS shows scale of barely 24 lbs.





  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    92
    Looks good! I'm building out a marathon also. I don't have the same components as you though. Geez...all XTR, my wife would take all the credit cards away.

    /gC

  3. #3
    joe dirt
    Reputation: Cipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by gateCrasher
    Looks good! I'm building out a marathon also. I don't have the same components as you though. Geez...all XTR, my wife would take all the credit cards away.

    /gC
    Good luck on that one. You gotta love the benefit of a bike with your own components. Some of these XTRs are still on my credit card.

    I had my chance taking my bike this weekend for the first time, and I'd say the overall performance was superb. I beat my record on a 10.3 mile loop in less than 3 mins. I gained about 1-3 mph climbing uphills, and cornered effortless. Bumpy downhill was a little bit tricky considering the Brain was active all the time - It felt so soft and my tires weren't sticking to ground. I guess I have to add more Rebound and more air.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    92
    Well, I'm taking a lot of the parts off my stumpy. The only problem is, those parts so far include:

    wheels/tire/cassette/chain
    brakes
    stem
    bars

    Pretty much everything else, I had to buy. I think I just approval for some new wheels, but didn't get a firm price from the wife.

    Anyone have some suggestions that won't break the bank? I'd like to exclude any "system" wheels. I'm running Crossroc's now, but I think the bearings are shot and it doesn't look like I can replace them.

    /gC

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6
    Awesome setup. I am looking at doing very close to the same thing. Where did you get your stuff from. I am trying to find the best deal on XTR and XT components and it looks like ebay is the cheapest for new stuff. If you have any suggestions on where to get the whole package let me know. Great looking bike!!!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    248
    lol love the before and after pics
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    92
    Change in plans for me. I ended up keeping only the bars, stem, and headset from my old bike. I topped everything off with a new set of I-9 All Mountains. This is my final build:



    /gC

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipe
    Good luck on that one. You gotta love the benefit of a bike with your own components. Some of these XTRs are still on my credit card.

    I had my chance taking my bike this weekend for the first time, and I'd say the overall performance was superb. I beat my record on a 10.3 mile loop in less than 3 mins. I gained about 1-3 mph climbing uphills, and cornered effortless. Bumpy downhill was a little bit tricky considering the Brain was active all the time - It felt so soft and my tires weren't sticking to ground. I guess I have to add more Rebound and more air.

    Did you have trouble bleeding the Macgura brakes? My dealer is advising against it. I am getting an s-works epic and want to swap out the new xtr.

  9. #9
    joe dirt
    Reputation: Cipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by vboy19
    Did you have trouble bleeding the Macgura brakes? My dealer is advising against it. I am getting an s-works epic and want to swap out the new xtr.
    Bleeding the Magura brakes wasn't bad at all. Just a little challenge for my mechanic. It would be the best idea (I know magura lovers would agree) if you install magura over xtr for your upcoming s-works. Personally, I havent tried the xTR, but Magura brakes engage like a car brakes with ABS. It's so soft without any locking upon engagement. But of course, you can lock the wheel if you need to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Altimeter88
    Awesome setup. I am looking at doing very close to the same thing. Where did you get your stuff from. I am trying to find the best deal on XTR and XT components and it looks like ebay is the cheapest for new stuff. If you have any suggestions on where to get the whole package let me know. Great looking bike!!!
    The whole package was ordered from separate stores and one of them is ebay. Front derailleur is from fullcycles.com. Rear der and shifters are from chainreactioncycles.com. Cassete, chain and crankset are from wheelworld.com. The rest of the stores are bobs-bicycles.com, pricepoint, ebay, and LBS. Picking components among the stores for the best deal was time consuming but it was very worthy money wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andino
    lol love the before and after pics
    that proves me a bike nerd

  10. #10
    joe dirt
    Reputation: Cipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by gateCrasher
    Change in plans for me. I ended up keeping only the bars, stem, and headset from my old bike. I topped everything off with a new set of I-9 All Mountains. This is my final build:



    /gC
    Looks nice, I see you got xtr crank too. We have the same tire. The tire itself is fast and corners like it's nothing. I'm trying to figure out your wheelset. I like them red spokes.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BeanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    867
    Cipe,

    Doesn't the headset on the 07 epic marathon have an integrated headset? If so how can you use a Chris King headset?

    Nice Bike,

    BeanMan

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Guppie58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,443
    ^ no. My custom build used Ritchey WCS.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eldogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Cipe,

    Doesn't the headset on the 07 epic marathon have an integrated headset? If so how can you use a Chris King headset?

    Nice Bike,

    BeanMan


    Specialized uses an integrated headset only on the carbon SW and Marathaon
    Just a lowly bike mechanic.

    Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •