mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Yet another creaky FSR !!

Hi

Apologies, Ive found lots with search but not my answer.

I have an 06 S-Works frameset I built up this year.
    (Its superb!!)

It has been ridden through the UK "summer," autumn and winter approx 2-3 times each week for 1-3 hours.
    My trails are very muddy.

For the last week or two it has creaked.

Im fairly confident its coming from the joints behind the bottom bracket.

Ive only had time for a quick look.
    I intend to take it apart and grease it or whatever when I get the time and find the paperwork and manuals.

The thing worrying me is that the metal either side of the pivot has had the paint rubbed off and I cant actually see a bush, I cant get close enough at the moment but this joint looks like metal against metal?

Im sure I must be mistaken

Any comments?

Is it a strip down and grease job?
    And why is the paint worn away in the small area between the two surfaces as they join and move?

YB

EDIT:

A pic is worth a thousand words

Cheers

Last edited by YorksBungholio; 01-04-2008 at 05:25 AM.

dweeby
    I could be wrong but I think that your frame is anodised and not painted and the bare alloy is where the frame has been faced to provide a completly flat surface for the bearings. Are you sure thats whats creeking, i have the same frame ( non S-works) and ride in the UK and have found that any hoses or cabbles that come into contact with the rear triangle can creek as the suspension moves .

Good old UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uphill? What's that
    looks like you ride in some wet conditions. you might want to check your bottom bracket to see if it needs greased. i was getting a creaking noise on my stumpy near the same location you described and it was my bottom bracket.

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just spent the afternoon changing the bearings on an Enduro.

The face of the swing arm inside the area inside where you circled is not anodised nor painted hence there maybe a bit of corrosion. The pivots of the FSR at least the newer ones like your 06 do not creak very often unless the bearings have completely dried out or seized.

The creaking like the others have suggested is more likely to be caused by the BB, crank arm, quick release, or even the shock pivots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had what I thought was a creaking suspension, but it turned out to be the Spesh seatpost failing, the seatpost eventually came apart whilst riding and fast bit of downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks guys

I hadnt considerd the facing issue

Im still sure that its pivot or bushing related

I have now consistantly made it happen when descending out of the seat whilst not pedaling.
    As far as I see this eliminates BB and seat post

Ive lubed the lot so I'll see tomorrow

mtbr member
    If you can, try riding a little bit with the seatpost out of the frame. When I did this, the noise got really loud and easy to make. The noise was from the shock link pivots. I took the bolts out of the link and put synthetic grease between the parts. After that, the frame has been really quiet. I occasionally put a little Dumonde Lite on the pivots after I clean and dry the frame.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    my creaking was in the pivot bearings. Not sure which ones, but when i did an overhaul and replaced them all the creaking disappeared

mtbr member
    I had the creaking on my FSR XC. It turned out to be the seatpost. My local bike shop sent it back to Specialized and it was replaced under warranty. Since I've had the new post, I haven't had any problems.

mtbr member
    Most creaking from FSR's, the newer ones, usually comes from the brace under where the shock mounts to the frame. It's that hour glass shaped piece that keeps the rear end stiff. Grease or lube up that area.