rjm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

y2k sworks disc conversion help

Hello all, i am building up this bike from old parts. I have this disc adapter/conversion arm for the rear set up. It appears the disc should be a 150mm, as 140mm is too small and 160 looks to be oversize. Can any one help me confirm the disc size and offer what, if any, special bolt is used to fasten the arm to the rim brake stud/hole. Also can anyone tell me who made this adapter? Lastly, I see no way of adjusting the the alignment of the caliper to the rotor with this setup (same on the front forks) the fastening bolts run parallel to the axle -so you simply tighten them up and that's it. The only way I see to adjust is to add shims, or in my case, machine off some of the boss on the caliper (running formula pro's on the build) Thanks, Russ
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    the adaptor is made by specialized google "specialized sharkfin" you will find more info

rotor size will be dependent on the adaptor you use on your caliper

I have a 160 on rear of my fsr, I had to change the bolt where the chainstay and seatstay join as the original bolts were thicker, i used bolts from the 2001 model as they were flatter headed

rjm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks Mick1972- Running the 160 would be a great option, but.... These formula pro 4 brakes are the type that the fasteners run parallel to the axle. These holes align with the holes in the shark fin.
    it seems most new calipers bolt "down", that is, perpendicular to the axle -which is a far better design,as it allows lateral adjustment of the caliper to the rotor and various adapters to fit rotor diameters. I bought these calipers before realizing this change in design. I'm off searching for shark fin details now! rjm