Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Xx1 spider for s work crank

Anyone have any info on this? I currently have s work cranks and would like
    Xx1 drivetrain but keep the s work crank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good luck.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I called Specialized and asked this question. The response was basically that they anticipate having them available in the Spring of 2013.

The Other Dude
    I heard early feb they will be coming into stock, they have a part number for them: S131400004

looks like it will come with a 34t chainring.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah they told me March, but didn't want to commit to it so he left it at spring. I like Jut8 response better!!!!

mtbr member
    I'm also keen but i don't think it is going to be as simple as that.Looking at the specialized bikes that have come with XX1 they have a huge spacer on the driveside of the crank that i havn't seen before.I don't think it is going to be simply a spider changeout.There might be some spacers in the BB that are also needed.As we all know the specialized crank is not as straight forward as other cranks out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chillie View Post
    I'm also keen but i don't think it is going to be as simple as that.Looking at the specialized bikes that have come with XX1 they have a huge spacer on the driveside of the crank that i havn't seen before.I don't think it is going to be simply a spider changeout.There might be some spacers in the BB that are also needed.As we all know the specialized crank is not as straight forward as other cranks out there.
    It is the same as installing with any other spider.The original intent for these was for the 84.5mm OSBB, which is straight forward. When used with a PF30 BB (73mm wide) there are spacers needed, but that also lets you adjust chain line too. You can also creatively run these on a 68mm BSA, which is what I was doing for 2X10 and will be using them on for 1X11.

RIDE...
    use the carbon Ti spiderless chainring

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I run these cranks on a 68mm bb. This spider will be awe fully expensive when it comes out

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    running a renthal S4 ring (http://www.renthalcycling.com/File/product_sr4_120.aspx) on my XX spider for 1x10 setup. the ring is offset by a mill or two for better chainline. not sure if you need a guide w/ a clutched rear der but i would for added peace of mind.

Photo by dypeterc • Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Picked up this spider through the local BS. It was $66. No too bad, but not the cheapest. Still waiting for specialized to confirm what spacers are needed.
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2011 S works 29er 2x9
    2010 roubaix Elite, full RED group

mtbr member
    Got my XX1 spider for SW cranks 3rd week of January. Laser dated Dec 24/12. Haven't installed yet.

Eyeballing the chainline with the XX1 spider places the XX1 ring at the same position as the big ring on my 2011 SW Epic 29. This is smack in the middle of the cassette. Can't see a reason for a spacer. This spacer may be an illusion, as the inside granny ring obscures the spacers between crank and BB. The XX1 spider is narrower, thus exposing the spacers.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Any pictures with weith available?

11 is one louder than 10

extra spider and tool if needed

Xx1 spider for s work crank-img_1889.jpg

I have one new in the packaging along with a QUARQ lockring tool (needed to remove the lock ring on the cranks and much cheaper than the specialized tools).

Drop me a line if you want them.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I installed my s works cranks and XX1 spider using the standard bottom bracket spacers used for the double.

JMC
    2011 S works SS 29er
    2011 S works 29er 2x9
    2010 roubaix Elite, full RED group

mtbr member
    I finally installed the XX1 group set on my 2011 SW Epic. Had my LBS change the spider out as they had the special tool.

No extra spacers required and the XX1 spider and 32t ring lines the chain up with the middle gear on the cassette as I had thought it should.

As well, when I mounted the Epic onto my Cyclops trainer, the wheel I use which has a slick tire and a 142+ hub with 10spd 1070 cassette, all the important gears worked fine, (hardest 5 gears) with the XX1 der and chain. No der adjustments required.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    can you post a photo of your drive-side spacer arrangement

Quote Originally Posted by JMCCRNA View Post
    I installed my s works cranks and XX1 spider using the standard bottom bracket spacers used for the double.

JMC

mtbr member
    Can you guys please give an indication of what you are paying for the spider.Here in South Africa it is costing over R2000 which is over $200 without any blades from Specialized.A bit of a rip if you ask me.Add to that the cost of the crank,BB and blade and you have one hefty price to pay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillie View Post
    Can you guys please give an indication of what you are paying for the spider.Here in South Africa it is costing over R2000 which is over $200 without any blades from Specialized.A bit of a rip if you ask me.Add to that the cost of the crank,BB and blade and you have one hefty price to pay.
    XX1 spider for SW cranks, retail in US is about $95.00. In Canada it is similar to your pricing, so you are not the only country that gets bit hard on pricing.

You may be better off getting the whole XX1 crank which comes with spider and 32t ring from Chain Reaction or other online store, then sell your SW set-up.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    I have one new in the packaging along with a QUARQ lockring tool (needed to remove the lock ring on the cranks and much cheaper than the specialized tools).

hi
    i'm looking for lockring tool. where can i buy it?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarManDSL View Post
    Got my XX1 spider for SW cranks 3rd week of January. Laser dated Dec 24/12. Haven't installed yet.

Eyeballing the chainline with the XX1 spider places the XX1 ring at the same position as the big ring on my 2011 SW Epic 29. This is smack in the middle of the cassette. Can't see a reason for a spacer. This spacer may be an illusion, as the inside granny ring obscures the spacers between crank and BB. The XX1 spider is narrower, thus exposing the spacers.
    I'm thinking of running the s-works with xx1 spider on my Air 9 RDO but I'm not sure about the chainring offset. The xx1 crank has a max 32t due to chain-stay interference. So I'm wondering does the s-works offset the chainring the same or will it be farther out? When I eyeball my current bb30 sram 2x10 the chainrings split the cassette into thirds evenly.

Any advice other than get a new frame would help. I'd like to be able to run the 34t
    Last edited by AKRC78; 05-09-2013 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Love the stylized SW cranks on my SW Epic and wanted the same for my Air9 RDO build.

In the end I got XX1 cranks and did a 3 bike mix-up of drive components. XX1 cranks are about 20 grams lighter and much less cost. Also wanted the SW in accent red to match and was not available in Jan.

The Air9 RDO has XX1 cranks with a SRAM 104 bcd spider from the Specialized SJ EVO 29er and a Race Face 34t ring. Had a 36t SRAM ring on as well and with either ring, chain line is biased to out side of cassette, centered on the 5th gear from outside on a 10 speed cassette.

Space between ring and chain stay seems close, but hasn't been an issue. Seems the 36t had a slight curve to the outside and space to chain stay is about the same on either ring.

I'm running the 32t XX1 ring from the XX1 cranks and SW XX1 spider on the SW Epic.

In the end from the 2x10 set-up with 38/24t rings, I loose only one gear at the top and one at the bottom. Gears I hardly used anyways. You should be fine with the 32t.

Sorry, can't answer your question, whether or not a SW crank with XX1 spider and XX1 32t ring will fit the same as a complete XX1 crank set-up, but hope this info helps is some way. Had everything disassembled at one point and could have test fit either way, but didn't think of that possibility.

I would assume XX1 and SW cranks have the same spider offset as that would be the standard that SRAM would have designed. Call Niner and speak with Ralph.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I think i'm going to stick with the 2x10 for the beginning of the season then maybe get a 104 bcd spider to run 1x10. But damn those S-work cranks look good! 1x11 will go on my next bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I need an XX1 spider for the s-works crank. Do you have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1889.jpg 
Views:	1606 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	781607

I need an XX1 spider for the s-works crank. Do you have one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Lightning Carbon Cranks

This may fit. The 2x and 3x are interchanable between S-Works cranks and Lightning cranks.
    Pretty good at everything, but not really good at anything!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast