mtbr member
    Sep 2011

XX1 142+ free hub body

Anyone got an extra lying around?

Is the only difference between the 142 and 142+ the endcap?
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    For what hub?

I have a set of roval traverse 2014 wheels from an endure which I'm changing to 10spd, so the xx1 free hub is available.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Anyone got an extra lying around?

Is the only difference between the 142 and 142+ the endcap?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    DT 240 for the Carbon SL's.

So annoying specialized wont have any freehubs till Feb. This might be the last straw...
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Finally stateside again
    i need one as well if anyone has one

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why do you all think you need one from Spesh? Any DT freehub body will work. The difference is in the end caps and the spacing between flanges.

What am I missing?

Finally stateside again
    the end cap is 2mm wider for the 142+ spacing which you can only get from them

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    the end cap is 2mm wider for the 142+ spacing which you can only get from them
    Do you have a specialized part number for this? I ordered some carbon SL wheels (not in yet) and told the bike shop I needed an xx1 freehub. They ordered the freehub from one of their distributors and I was told this would work on my frame. I even called specialized and asked if I needed anything specific from them regarding the xx1 freehub and 142+ frames but they said NO. Anyone know for a fact?

mtbr member
    You need the Specialized DT Swiss version. It is different from the DT Swiss version as found on their site for the 240 hub.

This is the Specialized part number for 142+ 11 spd free hub body. You also get a different end cap.

XX1 142+ free hub body-spec-142-xx1-body.jpg
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the pic. I also posted this question on the specialized website (Masterlink FAQ). This is what they said (my question and their response below)

My question: I purchased a 2014 s-works stumpjumper HT frame which has the 142+ dropouts. I have ordered a set of roval control sl 142+ wheels from my dealer. I told them that I needed an xx1 freehub so they ordered that from a distributor. I did read on a forum that I need a specific 142+ endcap that comes directly from specialized to use with that xx1 freehub. Is this true? If so, do you have a part number for this part so my dealer can order. I discussed this with my dealer and they didnt think this was true. Please help!

The Response: You can order that endcap kit under part number S132100005.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ok - I posted before: the end caps are absolutely different. I have validated this myself as I have DT 240 and a Roval 142+ wheel. But for the life of me I can not see the difference between the free hub body on the Roval and the DT. They look identical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    Ok - I posted before: the end caps are absolutely different. I have validated this myself as I have DT 240 and a Roval 142+ wheel. But for the life of me I can not see the difference between the free hub body on the Roval and the DT. They look identical.
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about this but it is really fairly simple.

142+ hubs have the driveside of the hub (and consequently the freehub body) positioned 2mm further outboard than a traditional 142 hub. Since the freehub is moved out 2mm, the driveside endcap is 2mm shorter. This allows the bracing angle of the 142+ spokes to be slightly stronger than a normal hub. In order to do this there needs to be clearance for the hub on the driveside dropout, which is what specialized means when they say 142+ frame. All of the new specialized 142 frames will work fine with a normal 142 hub from any manufacturer. Also some frames from other manufacturers will fit 142+ hubs even though they were not intentionally designed to do so.

Moving on... If you want to convert a star-ratchet equipped 142+ Roval hub from 10spd to xx1 you will need a new DT freehub body. You can get a 142+ XX1 freehub body from specialized and it will come with the correct endcap. Often this part is out of stock but the freehub can also be sourced from DT. If you get it from DT you will still need a 142+ endcap which DT will probably not have. You can reuse the 142+ driveside endcap from your 10spd freehub; however, you will need to use a lathe (or a grinder will work) to machine away some of the endcape bearing shield. You can see in the attached picture that the XD endcap has a smaller diameter bearing shield than the normal 10 spd endcap.

If your hub is a 142 (NOT 142+) Roval, the normal DT XX1 freehub and endcap are compatible without modification.

XX1 142+ free hub body-screen-shot-2014-01-17-6.36.49-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by erlau View Post
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about this but it is really fairly simple.

142+ hubs have the driveside of the hub (and consequently the freehub body) positioned 2mm further outboard than a traditional 142 hub. Since the freehub is moved out 2mm, the driveside endcap is 2mm shorter. This allows the bracing angle of the 142+ spokes to be slightly stronger than a normal hub. In order to do this there needs to be clearance for the hub on the driveside dropout, which is what specialized means when they say 142+ frame. All of the new specialized 142 frames will work fine with a normal 142 hub from any manufacturer. Also some frames from other manufacturers will fit 142+ hubs even though they were not intentionally designed to do so.

Moving on... If you want to convert a star-ratchet equipped 142+ Roval hub from 10spd to xx1 you will need a new DT freehub body. You can get a 142+ XX1 freehub body from specialized and it will come with the correct endcap. Often this part is out of stock but the freehub can also be sourced from DT. If you get it from DT you will still need a 142+ endcap which DT will probably not have. You can reuse the 142+ driveside endcap from your 10spd freehub; however, you will need to use a lathe (or a grinder will work) to machine away some of the endcape bearing shield. You can see in the attached picture that the XD endcap has a smaller diameter bearing shield than the normal 10 spd endcap.

If your hub is a 142 (NOT 142+) Roval, the normal DT XX1 freehub and endcap are compatible without modification.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 6.36.49 PM.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	863114
    Doesn't this also mean you could just file off 2 mm of endcap on the DT part and get the same result. A lathe would of course be better, but I'd think if you carefully marked it out first you could take off 2mm very evenly with a flat file. Just a thought

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    Doesn't this also mean you could just file off 2 mm of endcap on the DT part and get the same result. A lathe would of course be better, but I'd think if you carefully marked it out first you could take off 2mm very evenly with a flat file. Just a thought
    Yes, that should work also. Just make sure the surface is close to flat&square when you are done so that the hub clamps into the dropouts nicely.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I still have the xx1 freehub and endcap taken off a set of 2014 rovals from an enduro expert.
    I put the rovals on my sworks 2013 which i sold 10speed so this is basically new.
    I'm based in the uk if anyone is interested.

sld
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    waldo1: I'm interested for endcap, can you write me ? Thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

142+ wheel

I have an extra rear wheel in 142+ I'd take $450 and shipping for if anyone's interested. It's in excellent condition. 2012 model.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    @Sld i sold the freehub and endcap now sorry.