mtbr member
    Sep 2007

XTR Upgrade on 07 Stumpy Elite

I am looking to upgrade to all XTR on my 2007 Stumpy Elite. I am looking to upgrade the cassette, shifters, and FD. Looking to see if others have made this upgrade and to see if any trouble was experienced and if it is worth it. I have an opportunity to get the stuff pretty cheap (50% off). Also is this something that an average person can do themselves or should it be done at the shop?

Just to make sure that I am getting the right stuff I would need to get the following to replace what I have.
    - FD XTR, 34.9 clamp, top swing, dual pull
    - XTR, 9-speed, 11/34t Ti cassette
    - SL M970 rapid-fire shifters

In addition to upgrading what do you think that I can get for the used parts (about 100 miles)
    - Shimano M-580 LX, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull FD
    - Shimano Hg-50, 9spd, 11/34 cassette
    - Shimano M570 LX 9spd shifters
    Last edited by Ral83178; 03-03-2008 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't know the exact specs of the 07 Stumpy, but:
    - if you'll get 50% off for XTR cassette I'd go for that. if not go for XT. huge diffenrence in weight comparing to LX with a small cost.
    - FD XTR. in my opinion you don't need that. XT is good enough and you'll not feel the differance. you've mentioned about selling the old LX which is top swing and the XTR is bottom swing.
    - shifters. are these the 2way release? like the 08 XT? if not I'd go with the 08 XT.

i don't have any idea how much you'd get for the used stuff.

mtbr member
    I would really recommned the new Shadow XTR der in that I had the older model and it constantly bangs against the chainstays. However, with the new design it keeps the der in place plus the carbon cage looks sweet.

Explore More
    For the upgrades you're looking at, I would only change the cassette. And, I agree with mateozz, just go XT, unless you can find a killer deal on the XTR. Too much price difference and too little performance/weight advantage to justify the cost.

You'll lose 5+ oz of weight just by going XT and you'll notice a huge difference in shifting performance. Just changing the cassette will lose the strange noises coming from the cassette and will make shifting quick, not sluggish and slow as is with the HG-50.

I really believe you'll find no need for further shifting performance upgrades after just changing the cassette. I wanted to take back my 06 Stumpy after a couple rides with the stock setup. A night-and-day difference after changing from the HG-50 to an XT!

Only other thing I would suggest is to spend $10 for an Avid Rollamajig. They really do work wonderfully for the cable routing on the Stumpy FSR!

Ride On!

mtbr member
    go for it, if youve got the cash. youll be stoked with all that one, except when the day comes to replace the worn parts...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have full XTR including the XTR shadow on my epic, its very nice for sure but if you arent interested in dropping weight and are just after the performance id stick with the XT

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    i have full XTR including the XTR shadow on my epic, its very nice for sure but if you arent interested in dropping weight and are just after the performance id stick with the XT

Likewise here.

You won't get much for LX stuff, I have some LX stuff laying around I use for back-ups.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    if you never had XTR the only xtr parts id get wouldbe the rear casset, amd rear derailer (tho having used both the sram x-0 rear derailer is just as good) keep the xt parts ellswhere unless you can afford to replace them with the Name brand xtr (Im gonna get blasted, for this, but i like the high end sram stuff better)
    (hell the XT shifters on my o2 stumpy were lighter than the xtr shifters, cause the xtr used full ball bearings)

mtbr member
    I had those 570 LX shifters at one time on my Epic, then went to 970 XTR and like the difference, including 2-way release. However, as mateozz said, the 08 XT offers this as well (and actually the 07 XT SL-M760 did too, my wife's bike has those). But in any case, I believe that's definitely a worthwhile upgrade from the 570s.

I also support the idea of moving to a shadow rear der. I went to the XT 772 last summer and just love it. I imagine the lighter 972 is similarly nice.

I recently moved to the 970 XTR cassette from a 760 XT; no performance difference noticed.
    Last edited by mcgarry; 03-09-2008 at 04:36 PM.