Thread: XT wheelset

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

XT wheelset

Have been upgrading my 2007 stumpjumper with a new set of wheels.Mavic XC 717 Rims and Shimano XT 765 Hubs.The wheels are great,but when I went to install the wheels the skewers were shorter in length then the original skewers.My original hubs were shimano 525 rear and Stout on the front.The Shimano web site shows 168mm and 173mm rear skewers are avaliable,and the front skewer is a standard 133mm or 5.25in.When I ordered the wheels there was no choice for skewer length and any other sites on the web seem to use the standard 168mm length.If I order the skewers online I can only find 168mm.Is this the norm for specialized.Even the STOUT skewer on the front is slightly longer than the standard 5.25in. or 133mm.So I thought I would ask other Specialized bikers to see if they had similiar problems.I am using the my old deore skewers at the moment.

Have emailed specialized to find out the lenghts used but they have not got back to me yet.

Thanks for any help

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's strange. I put a dt4.2d/xt wheelset on my epic and the skewers were fine.

mtbr member
    I bought the XT M775 so i don't have to worry about rebuilding. Great tubeless rim. I've raced on them all of this year without one problem.
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper / Roubaix

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Iíve got those on my Stumpy with the original DT rims, have you tried unscrewing them as far as is safely possible to get them to fit, hold the skewer and turn the lever round as far as needed to fit. They should come the same size as the Deore and Stout in the box so all you need to do is fit them and tighten them up.
    [/SIZE]