MTB rider & Photographer

New question here. XC Comp or Stumpy

I ride trails - XC with occasionally added single tracks, and some Free riding as well.

I'm going to buy my first full suspension bike.
    I had a very good experience with my HardTail HardRock Sport 2005 so I'm keeping my faith with "Specialized".

My question - XC Comp seems to be a decent 4" XC machine.
    Adding some $$ and I have the Stumpy, wich is more Free Ride oriented.

Should I start with the basic XC Comp or make a grand entrance to full sus' with a bit more expensive Stumpy ?

Also, should I go for a very good Mech disc or prefer a medium rance Hydraulic one ?
    I do not like the possible complexity involved in Hydr' system maintainance

Thanks in advance for your enlightening comments

MTB rider & Photographer

XC or Stumpy anybody ?

XC or Stumpy anybody ?

Adobo Lover
    stumpy, is the better frame of the two. Upgrade the components as you need to.

mtbr member
    The base Stumpjumper FSR has a better frame and nicer parts than the FSRxc Comp, so if you can afford it, go for it. I think it just comes down to what you want to spend; the bikes are functionally similar, but almost every spec's a little better on the Stumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by septA
    XC or Stumpy anybody ?

mmm
    The Stumpy name alone will also command a higher resale value later down the road.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Stumpy

I went through the same process you did back in October, coming from a old Rockhopper and wanting a dual suspension. I stayed with Specialized because they treated me well in the past. Shopping for a new bike is a thrill, the first ride is a bigger thrill. I went with the Stumpy Comp. and paid $2K out the door. The Juicy 5 hydros are awesome, I can stop my 225 lb arse on a dime. Besides cleaning the rotors, I haven't done a thing to the brakes, so I wouldn't worry so much about maint. I think the only reason to go farther up the Stumpy ladder is if you want the "Brain" shock. The parts spec on the low end models is fine, you can upgrade in the future when things wear out. As stated by others, try to stay within your budget because you will be riding your new rig alot and will be buying accessories like shorts, gloves, lights, racks, etc. etc. etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, get the Stumpy if you can, except if when you say "free ride" you actually plan to do drops of 2ft+ much if at all, then look at the Enduro.