htj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

X12/142+ wheel options

Hi

I've ordered an Epic S-Works frame with the Specialized Futureshox fork and crank as well. For my current XC bike I have two wheelsets (training and race if you will, but also because it is easy to switch tires when running tubeless).

I might consider bying the Roval Control SL Carbon wheels sometime in the future, however the shifting of the cassette on the 142+ makes it difficult to find a wheel which can just be swapped, as the limiter screws and cable adjustment on the rear deraillour have to changed, making it the wheel change much more troublesome. Unfortunately, the 142+ appears to be exclusive for the
    SL Carbon wheels.

I have a few questions, which I hope you can help me with:

Are there any "training" wheels with 142+ available.

Are there any aftermarket 142+ hubs available? Are they available from Specialized if you ask nicely? (I know the Epic frame sometimes comes with one, but it is reportedly of poor quality and is rather heavy).

Does the OS28 endcaps fit on regular DT240 hubs (I'm fairly sure that the endcaps are not available seperately, but my LBS sells specialized wheels and might end up with some spared if they fit them to a bike with a fox fork).

Can the Roval Control SL Carbon (the non X-12 version) be converted to X-12 using the DT conversion kit? (I'm aware this will not have the advantage of the 2 mm offset)

Can the Roval Control EL be converted to X-12 using the DT conversion kit?

(I'm fairly sure the Roval Control AL cannot be converted to X-12, but the hub caps are different on the EL and SL wheels as far as I can tell.)

Thanks for any answers on the above.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I don't know any specifics about the specialized hubs, but all of the major manufacturers have 12x142 hubs and conversion kits for their existing 135 hubs - Hope, Dt swiss, Mavic, Hadley, King.

I will be builing a set of of hadleys with the x12 for my sxt

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Sworks Epic frame comes with a "DT quality" per my Specialized rep. It's a different hub than on any other epic frames.

mtbr member
    Review this thread HiBlo 142+ hub/wheelset change and specifically these posts

HiBlo 142+ hub/wheelset change

FWIW, the Sworks level hub (which is same as the Roval Carbon wheelset) does have DT Swiss internals in Specialized's hub shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

bike rider
    American Classic now has a 142x12 hub: 230g, $280. That's what I'm using.
    Also DT Swiss 240s: 229g, $320.
    Keep the Country country.

htj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

I know there are plenty of X-12 / 142x12 rear hubs available, but I'm looking for 142+ hubs, which has the 2 mm offset on the cassette (so I don't have to do the rear deraillour adjustment dance when changing wheels).

Currently I'm leaning towards using regular X-12 / 142x12 hubs as I know there are several options with these.

The frame should arrive in a week or so, I'll report back on the hub.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by htj
    I'm looking for 142+ hubs, which has the 2 mm offset on the cassette.
    No idea what you're talking about but that's what I get for poking my head in the Specialized forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Currently the 2mm option is a Specialized only option. On the other hand there are many hubs that are 142 or that can be converted to 142 and will work quite fine in the Epic frame. I am going to use my DT 240 hub and change the axle.

mtbr member
    Hi

I've ordered an Epic S-Works frame with the Specialized Futureshox fork and crank as well. For my current XC bike I have two wheelsets (training and race if you will, but also because it is easy to switch tires when running tubeless).

I might consider bying the Roval Control SL Carbon wheels sometime in the future, however the shifting of the cassette on the 142+ makes it difficult to find a wheel which can just be swapped, as the limiter screws and cable adjustment on the rear deraillour have to changed, making it the wheel change much more troublesome. Unfortunately, the 142+ appears to be exclusive for the
    SL Carbon wheels.

I have a few questions, which I hope you can help me with:

Are there any "training" wheels with 142+ available.

Are there any aftermarket 142+ hubs available? Are they available from Specialized if you ask nicely? (I know the Epic frame sometimes comes with one, but it is reportedly of poor quality and is rather heavy).

Does the OS28 endcaps fit on regular DT240 hubs (I'm fairly sure that the endcaps are not available seperately, but my LBS sells specialized wheels and might end up with some spared if they fit them to a bike with a fox fork).

Can the Roval Control SL Carbon (the non X-12 version) be converted to X-12 using the DT conversion kit? (I'm aware this will not have the advantage of the 2 mm offset)

Can the Roval Control EL be converted to X-12 using the DT conversion kit?

(I'm fairly sure the Roval Control AL cannot be converted to X-12, but the hub caps are different on the EL and SL wheels as far as I can tell.)

Thanks for any answers on the above.
    -I did some checking around for you. As of right now there are not any after market 142+ hubs or alloy 'training wheels' available. We have put in a request with the product managers.
    -The OS28 endcaps do not work on a DT240 hub. They only work on our proprietary hub and our forks and rock shox forks.
    -The DT rear hubs, that our roval wheels use can be retrofired to use the Syntace X-12 system via the DT 142 X-12 kit.
    -This may come in handy if you have not already seen it: http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314
    Let us know how we can make your riding experience a better one. How may I help you?

htj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi Robert. Thanks a lot for looking into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert@Specialized
    -The DT rear hubs, that our roval wheels use can be retrofired to use the Syntace X-12 system via the DT 142 X-12 kit.
    Could you say which models this apply for?

I've looked at the Roval AL at my LBS and I'm fairly sure the kit would not fit on that as the end caps are not the sames as the dt240 hubs. The end caps on the Roval EL and SL wheels looks like the dt240 end caps (but this is from looking at the pictures at the Specialized web page), so I'm guessing it is only for these two models.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Hi Robert. Thanks a lot for looking into this.

Could you say which models this apply for?

I've looked at the Roval AL at my LBS and I'm fairly sure the kit would not fit on that as the end caps are not the sames as the dt240 hubs. The end caps on the Roval EL and SL wheels looks like the dt240 end caps (but this is from looking at the pictures at the Specialized web page), so I'm guessing it is only for these two models.

Thanks.
    2010 SL level wheels will work
    2011 SL and EL level wheel will work.
    Let us know how we can make your riding experience a better one. How may I help you?

mtbr member
    2010 SL level wheels will work
    2011 SL and EL level wheel will work.
    Robert,

Are there any plans to make more 142+ options (without retrofit kits)? If the engineers thought 142+ was such a good idea to improve rear wheel stiffness, why didn't anyone have the foresight to offer more options than a $1500 carbon wheelset?

J.
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

bike rider
    Why 142+ instead of normal 142 (Syntace's X12 standard)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Why 142+ instead of normal 142 (Syntace's X12 standard)?
    Specialized decided to use 142 on the new Epics, but put their own little twist to it. They saced the freehub body 2mm farther to the axle. This widens the hub, evens out spoke tension fron non drive side to drive side better and gives you a stiffer wheel. This is all well and good except they are the only ones that do their 142+ vs other manufacturers adopting the syntace x-12 (142) standard. this means that if you bought an Epic and want a spare wheelset or one for racing, you have two choices. You can fork out $1500 for the high end Rovals or ditch the 142+ and just go with 142. Otherwise, you have to readjust rear der. every time you switch wheels. IMO Specialized should offer more choices if they are going to continue to push 142+. Right now, the only wheels with 142+ are the stock wheels (less than optimum Joytech hub) and the super expensive Rovals.
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

Sup
    I wonder if you guys could just make a 2 mm shim for your rear derailluer bolt
    when running 142+ add the shim
    when running 142 standard take it out

SJ
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe
    I wonder if you guys could just make a 2 mm shim for your rear derailluer bolt
    when running 142+ add the shim
    when running 142 standard take it out

SJ
    You might be onto something there. My sister will be running the stock wheels on her epic 29er for training and use a set of Stan's ztr race 29ers with the 142 conversion for race day. When the bike comes in I'll give it a try. Just need to see if we have enough derailleur threads going into the hanger. I can make a U-shaped spacer(even just a 2mil washer) that she could just swap it in and out.

mtbr member
    Except for the fact that the hanger bolts on from underneath not from the side.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

Nice thought though.

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic
    The Sworks Epic frame comes with a "DT quality" per my Specialized rep. It's a different hub than on any other epic frames.
    Can anyone else verify this? It sure looks the same as the Hi/Lo hub on the other Epic Wheesets. If it is DT internals that's a win since the stars can possibly be upgraded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic
    All of the epic framesets (including the s-works) that come with a 142+ hub, come with a high quality 142+ hub but they are not DT Swiss. DT Swiss internals are not compatible with the hub that comes with the framesets.

mtbr member
    I think some with these hubs might disagree with the "high quality" part of that description.

rider
    All of the epic framesets (including the s-works) that come with a 142+ hub, come with a high quality 142+ hub but they are not DT Swiss. DT Swiss internals are not compatible with the hub that comes with the framesets.
    Thanks for the clarification, I thought it looked identical.

Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    I think some with these hubs might disagree with the "high quality" part of that description.
    A unequivocal disagreement with the term high quality. Quite a few owners are disappointed with the quality of that hub me being one of them. It's really a crap spec on a high end frame/complete bike. It sucks even more that it's 142+ and nothing else is available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Except for the fact that the hanger bolts on from underneath not from the side.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

Nice thought though.
    I was thinking the spacer between the derailleur bolt and hanger, not on the hanger bolt. Don't have to worry about it now as she is going to sell the stock wheels and swap between a converted set of stans race and a stans ztr crest wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    +1 on that. Basically a nice paperweight that comes with a $4,000 frame.