mtbr member
    Jun 2010

X0 chainset on a 2010 stumpjumper HT?

After searching the web with no luck I have arrived here where I should have just asked to start with.

I have a 2010 stumpy HT with the infamous BB91-42 PF bottom bracket and want to fit the latest X0 10spd chainset.

I was about to order a truvativ specific bottom bracket for GXP for my frame and the GXP version of the chainset but iI then see on the truvativ website the chainset is available in GXP and Gxp PF versions.

The X0 chainset I was going to get just states GXP

Has anybody used an X0 crank (and what one) on a frame of this year and if so what bottom bracket did you use?

Thanks in advance Darren

mtbr member

There are two different crank spindles available for the SRAM X0 chainset GXP 24mm diameter and BB30 30mm. For a 2010 Stumpjumper carbon hardtail frame you'll need a 24mm diameter GXP crank spindle.

There are then four different bottom bracket configurations. This describes the bottom bracket that comes bundled with the retail chainset (BB30, PF30, GXP threaded and GXP pressfit). Because there are several different versions of the pressfit bottom bracket for 24mm axles (every manufacturer seems to use something slightly different) you need a SRAM GXP pressfit 84.5mm for Specialized bottom bracket for a 2010 Stumpjumper carbon hardtail frame.

http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-PressFit-.../dp/B004LGM9W6

See if you can get a shop to order the chainset with the correct GXP pressfit bottom bracket. That would be cheapest.

The alternative is to get a GXP chainset (with threaded GXP bottom bracket) and then a seperate GXP pressfit bottom bracket. The threaded GXP bottom bracket is unused and ends up as a spare to sell on or put in a different frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

mtbr member

That c-bear bottom bracket should work ok I'd have thought.

The bottom bracket fit chart on that website sums up just how fragmented bottom bracket standards are at the moment. It should be straightforward to get replacements, not the maze that it is currently.

http://www.c-bear.com/image/bbchart-print.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This is so true, they have just emailed me to say it WOULD fit my frame with the GXP X0 chainset that I want.

I still have standard BB at the moment with latest XT double and just want to get it right.

Thanks again