mtbr member

WTF? S120 measures at 100mm?

I am in the process of buying an S-works stumpy (haven't handed over the cash yet).

I didn't even think to look, but a mate pointed out the travel didn't look to be 120mm.

Is it possible there is a spacer in there? The previous owner says it's the original travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTF? S120 measures at 100mm?-s120.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oh and there is 90psi in the fork and it can't extend any further.

Am I missing something here?

bitey
    Dec 2007

S120

Yes I had the same problem on this fork,needs to go back to spesh.after that it was sorted,never had a problem again.

mtbr member
    Did they tell you what the problem was?

I am looking at buying this second hand, so returning it to Specialized is not an option. I can try and take it to a local dealer, but if I knew what the problem was, it would be a good start.

bitey
    Dec 2007
    Not sure what problem was,but u can still return to spesh via spesh dealer or direct,they are the best option.

mtbr member
    Therein lies the problem. I'm not prepared to buy the bike if there is a major problem with the fork, and I'm not going to pay to send it to Specialized before I own the bike. I doubt the current owner will send it off.

I really want this bike, but it's not looking good.....

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Sounds like the brain cartridge is playing up. Maybe tell the owner you will buy it but only if the fork is returned to specialized to get fixed or take off about $250 for a fork service

At 100mm the head angle will be pretty steep and the geometry will be out as it will sag to about 80mm.

bitey
    Dec 2007
    I agree with brad72

mtbr member
    Well I took it to the local Specialized dealer and they seem to think the internals are fine, and that it feels like there is a spacer installed. Everything works, he says the cartridge is doing what it's supposed to, it just doesn't extend fully.

Unfortunately it's a public holiday in Melbourne where the national service centre is, so I have to wait until tomorrow to find out. The dealer wants to talk to the techs in Melbourne before pulling the forks apart to remove any spacers.

Not sure how or why there were spacer/s fitted to the fork (from new) and why the original owner didn't know about it. I rode it on Sunday and could tell that there was something not right about the fork, but though I just needed to dial it in better than I had (I set it up to standard settings from the manual). Even at the lower fork setting, the bike tracked and handled well. It climbed awesome, but I guess that had a lot to do with the fork length!

If it is a spacer, I can't wait to ride it with a full length fork

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Magilla that sounds very promising as it looks like an excellent bike. The only other thing I could think of was hydraulic lock but I have no idea what the internals look like but to be stuck dead on 120mm would be a pretty big fluke.

Perhaps the original owner wanted and epic like bike so dropped 20mm off the travel to steepen the head angle. I'm interested to see what the outcome is

This is the only picture of the internals that I can find. I assume this is the brain module

This is a parts breakdown of the S90 brain fork

mtbr member
    Great thanks for the images. Do you have a list of the names of the parts (ie the names that relate to those numbers on the breakdown)?

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Unfortunately no on the part names.

But I think #57 is the brain inertia valve allowing the oil/air/nitrogen? to flow through tube #56. #51 looks like the shim stacks , #73 controls the brain fade from firm to soft with #22 controlling the rebound speed. (upside down to a standard fork)

It is hard to see where a spacer could be mounted but hopefully the boys at spec can work it out for you. The piston is #35 so the space would have to be between that and #25 since #35 is the only part that moves up and down through cylinder #39

This link will give you a better illustration http://service.specialized.com/asc/C...20087_RevA.png

If only I had a login for specialized online technical library

Here is a service manual for the fork http://service.specialized.com/asc/C...009/MM0241.pdf

Last edited by brad72; 03-12-2012 at 04:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Update from the shop:

They rang the national service centre and apparently the guys down there said straight away it is the air cartridge, and a new $80 cartridge kit will fix the problem straight away. Not sure what the kit actually costs, but the shop is charging $80 to do the service and fit.

Stay tuned.....

mtbr member
    Ok some good news. Seems the problem was a combination of the cartridge and the negative air spring.

They replaced the cartridge and did nothing else, and the stanchion measurement went instantly to 115mm. They noticed the negative air was quite high (50mm), so last I talked to them, they were certain that reducing the negative air to around 25-30mm would give it the sufficient extension to give me full travel. They asked me for my weight with gear, so I guess they are planning on tuning it to my weight. Fingers crossed, but it should be good to go. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Something to keep in mind is that this fork (and shock) needs to be serviced once a year or 150 hours by specialized. Cost is around $150 and they will tune for your specifications. Bad part is it takes 3-4 weeks.

This looks like a 2009, and should have been serviced a few times by now. I have two 2008's and now two 2012's. The serviced recommendation by specialized is real if you want it to run like new all the time. Any SWorks dealer should know this, mine go off to specialized every 15 months or so.

I give them my body wieght, tell them to set up the brain a little stiffer so all the way on is lockout. This makes it stay firm longer. Once the brain gets soft when all the way on, it's time for service.