mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Wrist/Shoulder Sore After Riding New Specialized Epic

Hey guys,

I was riding a 21.5in Rocky Mountain Trailhead Hardtail for a while and felt like the move up to Full Suspension was a good idea.

I picked up a size Large Epic Expert 2007 model from my LBS. After a few rides, I noticed that my shoulder and wrist feel sore during the ride. I'm riding the same trails so I think it has something to do with the bike.

I'm 6'1 and thought I would need a XL frame, but my LBS insisted on a size large. Are there are stems that might push the handle bars out a bit? Any ideas? Seat height?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes

There are different sizes of stems. Do you still have your old bike? If you do I would suggest asking if your shop has anyone familiar with bike fit and bring your old bike to get measurements off as a point of reference.
    Basically bike fit is a highly opinionated area. 3 people will probably give you 3 different opinions. Its not a one size fits all type thing, so don't be afraid to experiment with a few things to find whats comfortable for you.
    I also reccoment the Book "The Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists" by Andy Pruitt. He talks quite a bit about bike fit and will provide you with some good starting points for you. Congrats on the new bike.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by profchaos349
    Hey guys,

I was riding a 21.5in Rocky Mountain Trailhead Hardtail for a while and felt like the move up to Full Suspension was a good idea.

I picked up a size Large Epic Expert 2007 model from my LBS. After a few rides, I noticed that my shoulder and wrist feel sore during the ride. I'm riding the same trails so I think it has something to do with the bike.

I'm 6'1 and thought I would need a XL frame, but my LBS insisted on a size large. Are there are stems that might push the handle bars out a bit? Any ideas? Seat height?
    Specialized XL is really big, typically 25.5 inch top tubes. 6'1" will ride a large.

With that said, there is a lot to bike setup. Stem length, bar height, bar rotation, lever position, and even grips make a big difference.

I would just head back there and ask to fool around with your setup.

mtbr member
    You may need to push your seat back. Do the drop line test to confirm.
    UK-Biking Shop now live - Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter