Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wrist/Shoulder Sore After Riding New Specialized Epic

870 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Richy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I was riding a 21.5in Rocky Mountain Trailhead Hardtail for a while and felt like the move up to Full Suspension was a good idea.

I picked up a size Large Epic Expert 2007 model from my LBS. After a few rides, I noticed that my shoulder and wrist feel sore during the ride. I'm riding the same trails so I think it has something to do with the bike.

I'm 6'1 and thought I would need a XL frame, but my LBS insisted on a size large. Are there are stems that might push the handle bars out a bit? Any ideas? Seat height?

#2 ·
Yes

There are different sizes of stems. Do you still have your old bike? If you do I would suggest asking if your shop has anyone familiar with bike fit and bring your old bike to get measurements off as a point of reference.
Basically bike fit is a highly opinionated area. 3 people will probably give you 3 different opinions. Its not a one size fits all type thing, so don't be afraid to experiment with a few things to find whats comfortable for you.
I also reccoment the Book "The Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists" by Andy Pruitt. He talks quite a bit about bike fit and will provide you with some good starting points for you. Congrats on the new bike.

#3 ·
profchaos349 said:
Hey guys,

I was riding a 21.5in Rocky Mountain Trailhead Hardtail for a while and felt like the move up to Full Suspension was a good idea.

I picked up a size Large Epic Expert 2007 model from my LBS. After a few rides, I noticed that my shoulder and wrist feel sore during the ride. I'm riding the same trails so I think it has something to do with the bike.

I'm 6'1 and thought I would need a XL frame, but my LBS insisted on a size large. Are there are stems that might push the handle bars out a bit? Any ideas? Seat height?
Specialized XL is really big, typically 25.5 inch top tubes. 6'1" will ride a large.

With that said, there is a lot to bike setup. Stem length, bar height, bar rotation, lever position, and even grips make a big difference.

I would just head back there and ask to fool around with your setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.