mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Would you upgrade and get a new bike if you could? ....

Hi, I have a spesh Stumpjumper FSR 29er expert 2010.

Lately there have been a ton of new designs and light bikes coming out. My bike weighs at least 31 pounds, maybe 32! heck maybe more. Its not light.

So I have been wondering about other bikes, maybe something light that can climb better but still has around 120mm travel.

But man, my 2010 still rides great. Then i checked and compared geometry of a few bikes and my 2010 has shorter stays, shorter wheel base, and even lower stack then the newer FSR 29ers.

Sometimes I wish it were more nimble or a better climber, but after reading reviews, it seems to climb as good as other bikes in its range, if not better.

Still, if money was not an issue, what would you get - lighter, better climber, but still plush and slack and at least 120mm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Would you upgrade and get a new bike if you could? ....

Stop looking in the other paddock and ride what you have. The moment you upgrade, something newer, lighter and flashier will relegate it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Get a Camber. 110mm of travel and will be significantly lighter than your current rig. Would easily be able to drop 4-5 lbs, especially if you went with a carbon version.
    MCH Co-Captain

<100%
    If money was no object I could throw out a list four pages long.....I still ride a 2010 Al Epic and it would cost at least $5k to get something new that is nicer. First bike on my list that fits your spec would be a Yeti 9-5C.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    did you mean sb95? the yeti seems similar to the SJ in travel and weight - it looks sweet though!

i was also looking at the camber - i want plush but lighter and better climber than the SJ

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think you should wait a year and wait for the Enduro suspension concept is used on the Stumpy. Unless you want to ride an Enduro, then get a carbon one ASAP.

I rode an S-works Enduro at Outerbike and it climbed as well as a 2012 FSR Stumpy.

(I have no inside knowledge)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    Get a Camber. 110mm of travel and will be significantly lighter than your current rig. Would easily be able to drop 4-5 lbs, especially if you went with a carbon version.
    I previously owned a 2011 Camber Expert and now own a 2013 Stumpjumper Comp with a Command Post added. With the same pedals that came off the Camber...my Stumpjumper (without the Command Post) was approximately a half pound lighter than the Camber, granted the part spec wasn't the same. The Camber I owned had 120mm travel and my Stumpy has 140, both 26" wheels. Even with the Command Post, my Stumpy still comes in sub-30 lbs with pedals. So basically, just because it has a little less travel, doesn't necessarily mean you'll drop a lot of weight. With carbon, yes you'll drop a decent chunk of weight...with similarly spec'd aluminum, not so much.

To the OP, you could probably drop a little bit of weight off your bike if you tried and wanted to spend the money. To me, a 30lb bike isn't heavy and I'm a lightweight guy.

<100%
    I did mean that SB95C...the C is the carbon version. Full Xt kit is around 27 - 28 lbs. It climbs like a Mtn goat. Demoed the Al version around here once and it just danced up a very rough and tech climb. That one was prob around 29 - 30 lbs. I did not feel that weight at all on the climb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks guys, ya thats the problem, less travel does not always mean lighter and it does not always mean its a better climber

I can afford whatever I want but honestly I would feel stupid paying 8-10k on a bike, so i wont do that, thats just me. I have only been mountain biking for 3 years, but i can hold my own and my fitness is good. I might even keep my eye open for something good but used.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You won't find a bike that excels both at being a excellent climber that can also bomb descents. If you want both you'll have to make compromises. I'd say Epic is the perfect compromise. SW Epic will be around 21#