mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Would you take your carbon SL on downhill runs?

I'm already thinking about summertime here in Bay Area when Northstar and Downieville open up again...but i'm wondering if its smart to bring the carbon SL?

Anybody here understand the science of carbon fiber vs. aluminum?
    For example - when an alum frame is hit with some decent size rock, its structural integrity is still intact since it will just result in a dent (assuming the dent is not too large).
    when carbon fiber frame is nicked with same rock, then structural integrity is compromised since the carbon will chip. is this right?

Also - how well does do you think this frame handles 4-5ft drops with a 200lb man on board?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    it should hold up, with carbon your always taking a risk though, ive seen carbon frames take all kinds of punishment, crashes summersaults jumps drops etc, however ive also seen a hole punched in one because it fell against the corner of a car door, same story again when one fell against a sharp piece of rock!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Drops like this should absolutely be no problem for this bike.
    Run a bashguard and chainguide. Drawback of the Carbon SL is that you have no ISCG mounts,
    You might consider using a strip of rubber, eg. a tire, to protect the lower half of the downtube and bracket.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Drops like this should absolutely be no problem for this bike.
    Run a bashguard and chainguide. Drawback of the Carbon SL is that you have no ISCG mounts,
    You might consider using a strip of rubber, eg. a tire, to protect the lower half of the downtube and bracket.

Now with More Wood
    It will do fine on drops like that - I do that and more all the time with my SL (aluminium, but still). Depending on preference, you may also want to fit a straight seatpost, to be able to really drop it if you are going to spend the day in the lifts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    "beaverbiker" on the board here races pro DH on his, dont think he rides n* on it, but D-ville and alot of the local bay area races for sure.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Carbon splinters puncturing body parts is never pretty.....

The Other Dude
    I ran my on the local DH course with any issues all last season, i even ran it the the Specialized Traversee wheels, there were a few rock gardens and quite a few gap jumps and drops. it held up just fine, but it was a little harsher on the body than my demo is, but as you can imagine it was a heck of alot lighter and was faster on the flat sprints.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    If it cant do a 4 foot drop, why buy a 6 inch travel bike?
    My completely uneducated opinion is that the bike would be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cma762

Would you take your carbon SL on downhill runs?
    No, but I'd take your carbon SL on downhill runs

I've heard horror stories like those already posted here, of carbon breaking when impacted by sharp objects, but I've also seen plenty of pics of aluminum bikes that broke in two on drops. I'm guessing that it's not beyond the design parameters of the bike, but there's always risk. The real question is, can you afford to replace it? (Does Specialized have a crash replacement policy?) A lot of the (non-sponsored) racers over on RBR don't race their good bikes because of the higher probability of a crash during the race, so they end up training on their best bike, and racing on their old one.
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've taken my Sworks Enduro SL off a ton of drops and downhill runs. The carbon frame can take it. The suspension on the otherhand works great but fails often Here is a post I did with some downhill runs and drops with the SL on Porcupine Rim. One vid shows a nice 6' drop to a flat landing with no problems! I weigh 195 when geared up. I'm 5"10" with a med S-Works frame.

http://www.allsportgps.com/Data/Acti...tripId=104799#

mtbr member
    No doubt , the enduro pro carbon is a fantastic bike , but if your an EXTREME downhiller and I,m talking MASSIVE drops and HUGE hits ,Your gonna bust it . You,d probably be better off sticking to a propper D.Hill rig . Simple really. Save yourself lots of time and money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    twedspeed, I completely agree with the Extreme DH comment. The SL (carbon or aluminum) was not designed for this. I have a Demo 8 for that But I would not be bashful in taking an SL on tough "all mountain" type trails where some downhill exists. Many trails in Moab are a good example where you have to peddle going up but have some fun tough downhill runs too. If you're taking about runs where you have shuttles or lifts available the SL is generally not a good fit. I've found the SL on these type of trails to be under weight and not that fun. The demo 8 is a blast!