amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Would you ride it? Cracked seatstay 2013 Stump Jumper

Just found this. I've got Cohutta 100 in 8 days.

The crack is the part perpendicular to the seatstay. It only wraps about 1/3 of the way around. I can't get anything to move when applying considerable lateral force. Buddies are telling me to ride it and others not to. Not sure which way to go. Raced this weekend on it (when the crack happened) and did quite a bit of rocks and thrashing after the crack without any issues.

Ugh, this is frustrating.

What would you do?

Would you ride it? Cracked seatstay 2013 Stump Jumper-image.jpegWould you ride it? Cracked seatstay 2013 Stump Jumper-photo-1-.jpgWould you ride it? Cracked seatstay 2013 Stump Jumper-photo.jpg

i think i know the right answer, but months of training out the window is really hard to swallow. not to mention a VERY expensive frame...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I wouldn't ride it through anything too crazy. Would warranty cover it maybe?

mtbr member
    That a carbon hardtail? I wouldn't chance it. That part of the bike absorbs a lot of energy. Let us know what ya end up doing. Sorry, that sucks...

There's always next year.
    I would be in the shop I bought it at immediately. They might be able to get you a warranty frame quickly (if thats the case) or provide crash replacement fast. At the very least, they should be able to get a real answer to you that random guys on the internet can't.

My two cents... I wouldn't ride it, and find a friend with a frame for me to borrow. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Fix it your self with a carbon fiber patch (wrap around), the housing stop make it a little more difficult but far from impossible, I'm sure you can find videos on the topic over the web.

The frame is not going to be cover under warranty anyway so you have nothing to lose..

mtbr member
    This is what puts me off carbon frames.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    See: my user name!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSPOOK View Post
    This is what puts me off carbon frames.
    Why? This is easily repaired by a carbon repair company. If it was an Aluminum frame, it would be terminal.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    why? This is easily repaired by a carbon repair company. If it was an aluminum frame, it would be terminal.
    steel!

Rogue Exterminator
    I wouldn't suggest riding it.
    Things like that often have the tendency to go catastrophic at the worst possible moment.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member

I wouldn't ride it in that condition. Do you know what caused the damage?

Can't you borrow a friend's spare bike for the race, or even do something like rent a demo bike from a shop for the weekend?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post

Can't you borrow a friend's spare bike for the race, or even do something like rent a demo bike from a shop for the weekend?
    He already raced, that is when the crack happened.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    He already raced, that is when the crack happened.
    The problem is that he's due to ride the Cohutta 100 in eight days but is currently without a working bike?

What happened during the previous race that caused the crack to appear?

mtbr member
    No way I'd ride that for 100miles. Try to find a friend with a bike you could borrow or see if a shop will let you ride a test bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Fix it your self with a carbon fiber patch (wrap around), the housing stop make it a little more difficult but far from impossible, I'm sure you can find videos on the topic over the web.

The frame is not going to be cover under warranty anyway so you have nothing to lose..
    Why wouldn't it be?

mtbr member
    Does Specialized still have lifetime warranty? I know I was told Giant brought theirs down to 3 years. You of course have to be the original owner and it cannot be the result of any accident. There are people who specialize in carbon repair. At leat it would be safe then. Would take some time tough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Yes lifetime warranty and would fully expect that to get you a new frame if u are the original owner. Go rent a bike from the shop. Usually run 40 bucks a day but maybe the specialized shop will help U out on this case.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondbikes View Post
    Yes lifetime warranty and would fully expect that to get you a new frame if u are the original owner. Go rent a bike from the shop. Usually run 40 bucks a day but maybe the specialized shop will help U out on this case.
    Boy, that sucks. It looks like you are riding an S-Works hardtail (based on the pics of the XX Cassette, XX rotors, and SL wheels). It would be hard to go and rent a Trek 4500 after slaying it on that beast. I'd get in touch with the shop immediately. If you are the original owner and it's covered under warranty (assuming it's not crash related) they could have you up in running in a matter of days. In my years of experience, Specialized dealer support has been amazing in their diagnosis and turnaround time. Good luck and crush it at the race!
    MCH Co-Captain

Trail Prospector
    IME - Don't ride it.

Would you ride it? Cracked seatstay 2013 Stump Jumper-photobucket-3654-1321051660282.jpg

This frame ^ was replaced once I was able to speak to the mfg's regional manager.
    And ONLY since it snapped facing inward, inside of the rim with no spoke damage.
    Since yours appears to be on the outside of the stay with scrape marks, my guess is that it'll be viewed as "pilot error".
    Lessons I've learned.. always buy new, and for me, no more carbon MTB's.
    Best of luck to resolve this quickly, and in the race.
    (edit - just noticed the Spec forum ^ this was a GF/Trek.)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Freelance Whatever

No go..

Don't ride it. Talk to your shop and see if they have something that they can hook you up with. Riding and finishing in one piece is WAY better than the rear exploding at the most inopportune time. If the shop is cool with your rep, rep should be able to do something. Even if you get a crash replacement deal, it's better than paying retail.
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Looks dangerous. You never know when/if it could completely fail, though it is inevitable at this point. Spec warranty dept. is amazing, see what they can do for you.