mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Would you buy a used 03 Epic?

It's one of the few good mtn bikes that I see listed for sale at a decent discount. But I get the impression that the 03 brain was much more "harsh" and many 03 epic riders end up trading for a softer ride.

Would I be better off passing on an 03 epic for a later model?

Speedhubbing at last
    I ride an '03 XL SWorks Epic, and I haven't had any problems with the harsh feel.
    My two previous rides were an Intense Tracer (4" travel) and Uzzi SLX (6-7"). Other than being safe/able to freeride, the Epic eats up the trail miles pretty easily. I wouldn't cart it to Whistler for the week or huck it over a couple of feet, but so far I'd give the ride quality 2 thumbs up.

-Adam

Quote Originally Posted by walkman
    It's one of the few good mtn bikes that I see listed for sale at a decent discount. But I get the impression that the 03 brain was much more "harsh" and many 03 epic riders end up trading for a softer ride.

Would I be better off passing on an 03 epic for a later model?
    Marla -- the big tourist. The faker. With her there, I was a faker too. Her lie reflected my lie. And all of a sudden, I felt nothing. With her there, I couldn't cry. All I could do was ride.

Just passing through....
    I also have an 03 Epic, but I upgraded to the 04 brain shock the following year. The 03 shock worked just fine, I didn't really find it harsh at all. But the 04 shock was more adjustable and it is a bit more plush. But really, I was happy with the 03 set up.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

WBB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm selling my "03 Epic with the upgraded adjustable brain if you are interested. It's large. If interested, I'll post more details. Let me know. BTW -- I'm selling it because I want an all around lighter bike with disk brakes and it would have cost too much to convert this one to what I really wanted.