MC MasterShake

Women's 07 Epic vs. 07 Stumpy for my wife?

Looking to finally upgrade my wife's bike. Since she's 5'2" my choices are quite limited. Since we don't have much cash I am going to have to buy something used. We live in the the Boston area so our trails are very technical. Lots of rocks and roots w/very little flow. She's just starting to get a feel for riding technical trails and she's now actually enjoying it, which I want to encourage. Besides, our normal techy riding we will also be doing a couple of races which are much less technical. So the bike I get her will need to be forgiving and strong enough to handle our trails yet light enough to take on endurance races.

I was highly leaning towards the Stumpy because of it's slacker HA and additional travel but I just noticed a good price on an 07 Women's Epic. I think the Epic would be enough bike for her now but will she end up growing out of it? How does this frame handle with a 5" fork?

mtbr member
    If she's not looking to race, stick with the Stumpy. It has a more relaxed fit.

A 5" fork might be too much for the Epic. It's designed with 4 in mind.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i rode an epic for a year, its strong handles well and its light but its a hardass ride thatll beat you up on rocky terrain, its a race bike that sacrifices comfort for speed, i recently switched to an 09 stumpjumper, it works out so much better for me, my friend has an 07 SJ elite, great bike, she'll love it

MC MasterShake
    Thanks for the info guys. That's what I was figuring. Now I just have to find one...

Like a boss.

safire?

If you can find a used Safire (womens'-specific version of the Stumpy), that would be another great option. I'm a 5'2" female and I ride a Safire size small; it fits me pretty perfectly. By far, it's the best purchase I've made in years!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

Calm Like a Bomb
    my fiancee tested both the '07 epic and '07 stumpy fsr wsd when i was buying her a bike a few seasons ago....she felt the epic was too rough of a ride for the technical trails we have around here so she went for the stumpy fsr wsd....she mostly does trail riding with it but can easily race it as well....if u can find a small '07 stumpy fsr wsd, it would fit your wife well....my fiancee is 5'4" and riding a medium
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (96.8 KB, 65 views)
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    my fiancee tested both the '07 epic and '07 stumpy fsr wsd when i was buying her a bike a few seasons ago....she felt the epic was too rough of a ride for the technical trails we have around here so she went for the stumpy fsr wsd....she mostly does trail riding with it but can easily race it as well....if u can find a small '07 stumpy fsr wsd, it would fit your wife well....my fiancee is 5'4" and riding a medium
    My wife has the same bike! Where did you get the pink Fox decals?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Calm Like a Bomb
    check your pms
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426
    If you can find a used Safire (womens'-specific version of the Stumpy), that would be another great option. I'm a 5'2" female and I ride a Safire size small; it fits me pretty perfectly. By far, it's the best purchase I've made in years!
    Easier said than done. It looks like small people never sell there bikes...