Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Will XX Crank work on Specialized PF30 Bottom Bracket

I am swapping my S-Works crank on my 2011 S-Works Epic 29er for a XX crank. Do I need to change the BB, or is the specialized PF30 BB compatible with the XX crank?

T m ar meisce.
    PF30 should be compatible with any BB30 crank.

From L. Zinn
    BB30 and PF30

Both BB30 and Press Fit 30 (a.k.a. PF30) cranks have 30mm-diameter bottom bracket spindles and passes through 30mm ID bearings.

On BB30 mountain bikes, the bearings press into a 68mm or 73mm-wide bottom-bracket shell and are prevented from going in further by snaprings seated into grooves in the inner diameter of the shell.

PF30 bearings are the same size as BB30 bearings (42mm OD, 30mm ID), but they are housed inside plastic sleeves that are 46mm in dmeter that press straight into the bottom bracket shell without any need for snaprings.
    Tech FAQ: The Low Down on Bottom Brackets
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Yes. I am using 2011 XO cranks BB30 and you need a BB30 bottom bracket kit, but it will work just fine. SO much stiffer too!!!

the flerg
    I bought the SW Epic frame set and once I figured out the PF30 system an XX crank, BB30 only, fit perfectly and does not have the dreaded spacer issue, is stiffer, and gets better shifting with XX chain rings.
    Demo Forest mountain biking has me spoiled.

mtbr member
    Were you able to use the PF30 Bottom bracket or did you have to buy a BB30?

mtbr member
    You cant mount a BB30 BB into a frame with a PF30 BB. A BB30crank should work with the PF30 BB because otherwise the cups would be missing.

mtbr member
    I think you are wrong.
    BB30 = bearings, cups inside the frame
    PF30 = bearings + cups

I would suggest that they just have mounted a BB30 crankset using a PF30 bottom bracket. Can you post some pictures?

mtbr member
    I dont know why but my response is above your post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Worker View Post
    You cant mount a BB30 BB into a frame with a PF30 BB. A BB30crank should work with the PF30 BB because otherwise the cups would be missing.
    Not sure what you are saying here but I am running full BB30 on my Epic. It came with PF30, however they just removed that and installed BB30 BB, my X0 cranks are full BB30, etc.

mtbr member
    I think you are wrong.
    BB30 = bearings, cups inside the frame
    PF30 = bearings + cups

I would suggest that they just have mounted a BB30 crankset using a PF30 bottom bracket. Can you post some pictures?
    Dude really? I know what they did, this is my bike. It is a full BB30 BB & crank. My 2011 Epic Comp Carbon's frame is full BB30, it just had PF30 adapters in it stock with the stock cranks.

mtbr member
    Please could you show us some pictures? I cant see how they can mount BB30 bearings into a frame which hasnt got bearing cups...???...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xmangox View Post
    Dude really? I know what they did, this is my bike. It is a full BB30 BB & crank. My 2011 Epic Comp Carbon's frame is full BB30, it just had PF30 adapters in it stock with the stock cranks.
    So I bought an XX BB30 crankset for my 2012 Stumpy Carbon. Do I need those PF30 adapters for it? The crank is not coming with a bottom bracket. It's just the crank. I was under the impression that I didn't need another bottom bracket since the spindle size of BB30 and PF30 is the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xmangox View Post
    Just to let you know the 2011 Epic Comp Carbon is a PF30 BB, you can definitely run BB30 crank in it though.

Straight from Specialized's site:

"FRAME FACT 9m carbon front triangle, FACT IS construction, gussetless TT S/M, M5 aluminum chainstays & seatstays, tapered HT, carbon PF-30 BB, 135mm drop-outs, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 100mm travel"

mtbr member
    Please could you show us some pictures? I cant see how they can mount BB30 bearings into a frame which hasnt got bearing cups...???...
    He probably wrapped duct tape around it till the BB30 bearings fit into the frame. Play-doh is an acceptable replacement if duct tape isn't available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexgonzalezmi View Post
    So I bought an XX BB30 crankset for my 2012 Stumpy Carbon. Do I need those PF30 adapters for it? The crank is not coming with a bottom bracket. It's just the crank. I was under the impression that I didn't need another bottom bracket since the spindle size of BB30 and PF30 is the same.
    You should be good to go, just leave the BB in the frame.

mtbr member
    Why would anyone want to run XX cranks instead of S-Works???? These things rock
    "To finish first, you must first finish"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    You should be good to go, just leave the BB in the frame.
    Thanks, that's what I assumed since the current crank says BB30 right on the spider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crackednipples View Post
    Why would anyone want to run XX cranks instead of S-Works???? These things rock
    Because they don't have them in stock. Otherwise believe me I would have been buying the Sworks cranks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Depends on the frame. The BB30 crank will work with frames that are designed for both BB30 and PF30 bottom bracket. The BB30 frame will have alloy sleeves and ring clips that just require bearings to be pressed in. The PF30 frame will require a plastic bearing cup to be pressed in.

mtbr member
    This should help clear up any questions. I installed a BB30 XX crank on my Stumpy carbon HT. Took all about 10 minutes and I only needed a 10mm wrench.

mtbr member
    And i suppose you used a Sram PF30 bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    I think that's what's installed. I just left the BB that was already there. Just changed the crank. It was a SRAM s1250 BB30 crank.

mtbr member
    Thats what i said. Bingo

old fart
    Mar 2010
    S-Worker is right. If you have a BB30 BB then you will have pressed in bearings, located by a circlip (stops the bearing moving inwards). A real PITA to remove & refit. Presto PF30 which uses the BB30 bearing, but has them as God intended, already mounted in plastic cups which simply have to be pressed into the frame. If you have an S-Works EPIC 2011-2012 you have PF30, not BB30.

mtbr member
    I would buy a cheaper BB30/PF30 crank for the time being and get a pair of S-Works cranks on back order at your LBS asap. The weight difference is pretty large.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast