Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

wiggle room on price?

Anyone know how much wiggle room Specialized dealers have on price before it really starts to cut into there profit? I ask because a local shop has a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er listed for $2,299 compared to the $2,600 price listed on the Specialized site and I was wondering if I might find to lower at another shop or that might be the best I will find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I doubt you'll find a better deal.

mtbr member
    When i purchased my 2011 Specialized Enduro Comp i was able to see what dealer cost is on the bike. Cost is around $1890. I was told there is generally 35% mark up on these bikes and I got mine for 22%. The bike reails at $2900. That's quite a bit of mark up. I got the bike for $2300 + tax. Most dealers wouldnt budge and would only knock a few hundred off msrp. It all depends on the dealer and how much they want to profit. Shop around.
    Last edited by Dirttrackin280h; 01-03-2011 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirttrackin280h
    When i purchased my 2011 Specialized Enduro Comp in October of last year i was able to see what dealer cost is on the bike. Cost is around $1890. The owner told me there is generally 35% mark up on these bikes and I got mine for 22%. The bike reails at $2900. That's quite a bit of mark up. I got the bike for $2300 + tax. Most dealers wouldnt budge and would only knock a few hundred off msrp. It all depends on the dealer and how much they want to profit. Shop around.
    Agreed, I have an old friend who is a dealer for a few big companies but not specialized The mark up is 33-40% but that is if the company has no "specials" or "programs" on that bike.

Trying not to kill myself
    Around here there are two local chains with several locations each, and they tend to both price their popular Specialized bikes about 10% off MSRP. You might find an odd size or model for cheaper, but they generally don't go to 20-30% off unless it's last year's model on closeout. At least this has been the experience with myself and some friends, though I'm sure others have connections that get them better discounts. 29ers like the Camber and Stumpy don't sit on the floor long, so there's not much incentive to cut prices further.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Noosa that seems like a good price to me. Most shops sell bikes for slightly less then MSRP. In my opinion anything less than 10% below MSRP is a good price especially on a popular bike that most shops shouldn't have too much trouble selling.

If you like the shop and think you may need their services in the future don't waste your time searching around to save a couple bucks; give them your support. If you don't like them or their service, look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wiggle room? I'll show you wiggle room!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Bare in mind that there is only 25-35% markup on all bikes. You will only get more than circa 10% if its a previous year model and the shop wants to get rid. Sounds like you've found a bargain and you should pony up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got my camber Pro 29 for 2400 plus tax. Retail is 29. I was originally looking at an expert which retailed for around 2000 and I was getting for 1800. I was surprised when he knocked 500 off the pro. He had to order the pro as well, the expert was a floor model.

NoVA MTBer
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecEnduro
    Bare in mind that there is only 25-35% markup on all bikes. You will only get more than circa 10% if its a previous year model and the shop wants to get rid. Sounds like you've found a bargain and you should pony up!
    Ive seen previous/ prior year Specialized bikes go for over 45% off and 20%+ off on current model year bikes is not uncommon... Sometimes shops don't mind being a middle man and just ordering a bike for you. No storage or any other costs to them and they still make money for making the call. Keep shopping around Im sure you'll find one at a price you're willing to pay...

mtbr member
    10 percent off is ballpark,anything more is a great deal.keep in mind, spech. dealers floor plan =alot of spech. required products per start up season.even if dealer has hard time selling said products.just to be a spech. dealer. same goes w/ trek,etc.
    high mark up on bikes,well u get the picture now. also, give it up for sworks dealers. they need to purchase 10 swork models a yr. to sell just 1.you do the math.

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Just yesterday I saw a '10 Epic Marathon 29er marked down to $4399 from $6400 - that's 30% off before asking for any more. Admittedly last year's model but one of the best reviewed and most popular out there, and it's not like there are a ton of them in inventory.

Big Hittin'
    got my enduro expert for 3100

retails for 3900.

think i did ok.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    +1 in that it really depends on the dealer and their volume and their relationship w/ the manufacturer.

I've been looking at a Camber Pro 2011 which retails for $2800

My dealer I frequent all the time quoted me $2670+tax out the door when I asked what his bottom line was.

Went to another dealer across town that I have never bought from. The guy advised $2500 right up front and when I aksed for his best price he went in the back and came back out and said $2400+tax out the door.

I haven't gone back to my main dealer to see if they will price match but it just goes to show that prices are all over the place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My local Specialized dealer has some 2010's left over and are marked down fairly well. I'm waiting for the 2011 to hit their floor.....but here's the info.

www.ironcladbicycles.com

Also, does anyone know if a LBS will order you a bike, but ask if they not put it together for you, would it be "cheaper" since they don't have labor into it? Or is that a warranty issue later on down the road?

OSCMTB
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man
    My local Specialized dealer has some 2010's left over and are marked down fairly well. I'm waiting for the 2011 to hit their floor.....but here's the info.

www.ironcladbicycles.com

Also, does anyone know if a LBS will order you a bike, but ask if they not put it together for you, would it be "cheaper" since they don't have labor into it? Or is that a warranty issue later on down the road?
    Most companies specify that the warranty is only valid if assembled by a certified dealer. Makes sense really - if John Q. Mtn Biker screws up the build in some way, it becomes an issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LilGasPasser
    Wiggle room? I'll show you wiggle room!

I asked for it...

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    my bud just got the 2011 Epic Comp 26er for $2600 out the door

mtbr member
    Checked with my LBS, who I purchased my previous Specialized bikes from and he quoted me $1650+tax for the '11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er.

I purchased my '11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp for $1550+tax and '11 Roubaix Comp Compact Rival for $1600+tax.

$2300 is not a bad price, but is too close to normal markdown from major chains.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn
    Checked with my LBS, who I purchased my previous Specialized bikes from and he quoted me $1650+tax for the '11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er.

I purchased my '11 Stumpjumper FSR Comp for $1550+tax and '11 Roubaix Comp Compact Rival for $1600+tax.

$2300 is not a bad price, but is too close to normal markdown from major chains.

Wow - those are huge reductions off MSRP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Is your LBS going out of business?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovin
    Is your LBS going out of business?
    Not at all. They've been in business since the 1940s. The owner works everyday of the week so he gives prices there and then.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

Trying not to kill myself

That's great if you can get those deals, but 35-40% off retail for current year bikes is not commonplace. Your dealer must make a bundle of money somewhere else in the business to be able to sell bikes so close to cost.

namagomi
    Just wait a year and a half and cross your fingers that you can find ya size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe23
    That's great if you can get those deals, but 35-40% off retail for current year bikes is not commonplace. Your dealer must make a bundle of money somewhere else in the business to be able to sell bikes so close to cost.

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast