mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Why is Specialized so expensive, overpriced in Australia

Been a long wait for my 2010 Epic comp 29er and am now looking at other options as I've heard there is going to be delays in getting this bike in Australia.

So I've been looking at other brands and I'm shocked. Other equivalent bikes are up to $1500 AUS cheaper - and I'm talking equivalent bikes not lesser quality brands. Same specs/components and in some cases better.

So asking around and everyone seems to believe that Specialized is way overpriced and just not worth the money. So much so that even Specialized shops here (tied up with Avanti/Specialized dealerships) stock a heap of Avanti but not much specialized and acknowledge themselves that Specialized are simply not good value for money.

So why? Why is it that Specialized is so expensive - up to 25% more then the equivalent from another company (not manufacturer, as some come from same factory I'm told).

Are they just not interested in the Market here? Are they trying to pretend they are better then everyone else by charging "unique" (expensive) prices???

Any one clued in?

To give you an example, I'm not sure if it is possible or not, but I could buy two specialized Epic Comp's 29ers from the USA from an Authorised dealer using Australian dollars for the exact same price I buy 1 for here. The only thing I'd have to pay for is freight, which I'm sure I could get a deal on if buying two bikes.

What gives - what are Specialized doing here in Aus? It is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Same thing in Norway.

Bike prices are out of control in general here and Specialized is disproportionately more so than other brands. For example:

Specialized 2010 Enduro Comp Md is $5230 in Norway compared to US msrp of $2800. Are you kidding me? Anyone with half a brain just uses the difference to fund a long weekend in NY and brings a bike home.

But like I said everything is overpriced here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rick w.
    Same thing in Norway.

Bike prices are out of control in general here and Specialized is disproportionately more so than other brands. For example:

Specialized 2010 Enduro Comp Md is $5230 in Norway compared to US msrp of $2800. Are you kidding me? Anyone with half a brain just uses the difference to fund a long weekend in NY and brings a bike home.

But everything isn't overpriced here. It's just specialized. The other brands, including the brand carried by the same distribution company as Specialized (Avanti) is well priced.

You are correct, I could fly to Los Angeles, spend a week touring, surfing, going to disneyland etc, buy an Epic Comp 29er, fly home with it, including paying import duties and still have $1000 US change. It just doesn't add up - someone is ripping us off and I'm not sure if it's specialized or the distributor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rick w.
    Same thing in Norway.

Funny thing is, that here in Denmark (its next to norway..so to speak), specialized is reasonably priced compared to the other brands. Its NOT cheap, but its not overkill either.

<100%
    Odd. I had a guy buy my son's Redline BMX bike this year with the intent to take it to Australia. I asked him why becuase it wouldn't seem to be worth it the hassle. He told bikes were very expensive down under and cited import duties. He was buying it for his nephew.

What other brands are available there?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Do what I am going to do.
    Import from the USA and be prepared to deal directly with the big red S IF anything goes wrong.
    Ultimately your warranty is with them anyway so buying locally does not really bring any benefits with it.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Import from the USA and be prepared to deal directly with the big red S IF anything goes wrong.
    Ultimately your warranty is with them anyway so buying locally does not really bring any benefits with it.
    Any Specialized dealer selling and shipping a bike is in breach of their dealer contract with Specialized and could lose their account over this. You may get by with warranty of Specialized parts on that bike, but if a frame warranty is ever needed, they will require a receipt and serial #. At this point your local (country) Specialized importer will have no interest in helping you out, and isn't required to.

My understanding is that local duties and taxes affect brands from different countries differently. For instance, your Avanti products are not a US brand, even though they may be coming from the same distributor, so having completely different pricing is understandable.
    I make no claim to know what about the system is making US products so expensive in Australia, but am quite interested in this thread because my shop is interested in expanding its shippable addresses to the Aussie market. Any useful information would be very welcome, and a correction of my statement above would be very useful if someone has better info. I do know that Specialized would not condone the remote sale/shipping of their new bikes under any circumstance in the US.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo
    You may get by with warranty of Specialized parts on that bike, but if a frame warranty is ever needed, they will require a receipt and serial #. At this point your local (country) Specialized importer will have no interest in helping you out, and isn't required to.
    Agreed but in Australia anyway, all the shop does is call Specialized, tell them that they have a potential warranty issue and then the next time that the distributor is in the neighbourhood he looks at the bike and makes a decision.
    I can do that myself and have done in the past.

What happens if the bike shop closes down?? You end up ringing Specialized and they arrange for you to take your bike to another shop. It is really a non-issue.

Specialized Australia are not even bringing in the full range from what I have been told.
    No Epic 29 or Stumpy 29. Possibly the Stumpy FSR 29.

At the moment I am seriously looking at an Epic 29 and a Stumpy HT 29 for the coming season but wont be able to get them here except on special order at stupidly inflated prices.

all your base
    blame Sam.

Brentster
    Jun 2007
    I've heard a few times where the Specialized and Treks, etc. are more expensive in Canada due to import taxes. So the Canadians drive down here, buy their bikes, splash mud on them and throw them on their car racks. At the border, they just say that its theirs (naturally), and they don't have to declare it or pay taxes. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Arrrhhh don't get me started on Specialized.
    I really want a SJ HT 29er Comp (Spec are not bringing them in ???). I can't even find a 29er Rockhopper in a XXL in Australia.

Correct. Maybe we should find some more people that are after some bikes from there and get a bulk buy ?
    RE warranty this next quote is from Stephen at Avanti Australia/NZ
    Hi Troy,

The warranty will be valid in AUS if the bike is purchased, set up by and collected from a authorized Specialized dealer..

The only issue would be if there is any transport damage when transporting back to AUS..

Regards

Stephen
    It looks like I will be using http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo
    Any Specialized dealer selling and shipping a bike is in breach of their dealer contract with Specialized and could lose their account over this. You may get by with warranty of Specialized parts on that bike, but if a frame warranty is ever needed, they will require a receipt and serial #. At this point your local (country) Specialized importer will have no interest in helping you out, and isn't required to.

My understanding is that local duties and taxes affect brands from different countries differently. For instance, your Avanti products are not a US brand, even though they may be coming from the same distributor, so having completely different pricing is understandable.
    I make no claim to know what about the system is making US products so expensive in Australia, but am quite interested in this thread because my shop is interested in expanding its shippable addresses to the Aussie market. Any useful information would be very welcome, and a correction of my statement above would be very useful if someone has better info. I do know that Specialized would not condone the remote sale/shipping of their new bikes under any circumstance in the US.
    As long as it is built out of the box by a Specialized dealer over there it will not void warranty.
    The import stuff is anything over $1000 including shipping. I have not figured out how much that will cost but it will be still worth it and saving a heap of $$$.

Specialized Australia are not even bringing in the full range from what I have been told.
    No Epic 29 or Stumpy 29. Possibly the Stumpy FSR 29.

At the moment I am seriously looking at an Epic 29 and a Stumpy HT 29 for the coming season but wont be able to get them here except on special order at stupidly inflated prices.
    They are bringing in the SJ FSR 29er and the SJ SW Frame 29er. Way out of my price range.

TR let me know when you will be ordering we might be able to get a cheaper price through price usa. I have been emailing a shop in the US I have been told they might be able to get a deal where they can ship the bike straight over as it is not on sale here. I am waiting on a reply and will let you know.
    Last edited by Yorto; 10-28-2009 at 10:48 PM.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Yorto
    Not sure that shop will be keen to have themselves named here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    And we thought bikes are expensive here. Sometimes we Americans forget how good we have it :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle707
    And we thought bikes are expensive here. Sometimes we Americans forget how good we have it :-)
    No doubt.

FWIW I've got a buddy here in Seattle that's from Sydney. He goes down there every winter (well for our winter anyway). Maybe he'd be willing to bring a couple bikes with him?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    No doubt.

FWIW I've got a buddy here in Seattle that's from Sydney. He goes down there every winter (well for our winter anyway). Maybe he'd be willing to bring a couple bikes with him?
    COD ?

<100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorto
    COD ?

Yeah Right!. LOL. If it were me, you'd call the shop buy it through them, they'd assemble, you'd get your warranty. Then I'd pick it up, box it, ship it, and charge a transaction fee.

I looked at the spesh Australia site. No 2010 bikes and no prices yet? Can you guys outside USA see the USA site with models, prices etc? If you do give me an example? I'd like to compare. SJ Expert Carbon 29er (HT) $3300 USD or about $3,600 AUD.

Cheers

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831
    Can you guys outside USA see the USA site with models, prices etc? If you do give me an example? I'd like to compare. SJ Expert Carbon 29er (HT) $3300 USD or about $3,600 AUD.

Cheers
    Yep, that is what I see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As an example the Epic Comp 29er is listed as $2800 on the USA site, and although not listed on Aussie sites yet (who knows why?) the RRP of an Epic Comp 29er is $5699 or therabouts. I'm struggling to work out where the huge margin is.

It can't be accounted for in exchange rates.

It can't be accounted for in import duties (10%).

So who's pocketing the huge marging - I know it isn't the dealers as dealers don't set the RRP, they are the last step.

The rip off is either occuring at the Specialized end or the Distributor end. Either way someone has seen fit to wack a massive margin on Specialized products.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger
    It can't be accounted for in exchange rates.

It can't be accounted for in import duties (10%).

So who's pocketing the huge marging - I know it isn't the dealers as dealers don't set the RRP, they are the last step.

The rip off is either occuring at the Specialized end or the Distributor end. Either way someone has seen fit to wack a massive margin on Specialized products.
    Specialized Australia most likely. Or Avanti ? meh. I won't be buying a Specialized from Australia at this rate (can't find one to suit me).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was going to get a 2010 stumpy fsr Elite then i found out the au price and got a 1010 Giant Trance X1 instead. Hopefully next time I am looking for a new bike Specialized will be a lot more competitive with their pricing as I do like their bikes a lot....